Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Having played and lived in wa since the beginning of the point system and drawing two oil tags, they do square points and always have.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 4 Posts
    don't forget about Idaho.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Attachment 7363Probably Oregon or Nevada. I was just out in Oregon in early September with my buddy from Wyoming on a sheep tag he drew and he hadn't been applying for that long before he drew it. It was taken in the Beatys unit in se Oregon.
    Like UH said, 1/2 to 1 % on average on draw odds. I've applied 44 years in Oregon with no luck.
    I'm sitting on 11 sheep points in Wyoming and will probably let them go. It was well worth it when they only charged 7.00 a few years ago. Now it's 100.00 and point creep is a factor.
    Last edited by halfslam; 01-05-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    Jarhead

Thanks
    Congratulations
    And when they raise the Wyoming NR sheep tag to $2,500 it'll be really expensive considering most of the top outfitters are charging $8,500...that's $11,000 plus all the $100 points...prices the average man out of the equation. At least if I ever draw in Montana, I can shoot a 170-180 ram within a mile of the road without a guide for under $800.
    Last edited by 30Hart; 01-06-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sheep hunting is a terrible addiction. Expensive and frustrating, but there is nothing like wrapping your hands around a set of ram horns. I hunt other things because I want to hunt, but if I had a choice it would be sheep every year.
    The average guy is at a disadvantage when it comes to sheep. But, you can be successful if you are persistent and are willing to invest some money in the draws.
    Dall Sheep hunts are around $15,000.00 now, and these are the cheapest sheep hunts that you can buy. It sounds like a lot, but they are a bargain. Stone's are $30,000.00 and Desert are $60,000.00. If you draw a tag. bighorns can be hunted DIY or guided for a lot less. Apply for every tag you can.
    Another opportunity is the Aoudad in Texas and New Mexico. Not as glamorous as the big four, but every bit a sheep.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you're going to apply in every western state, be prepared to spend several hundred dollars each year on nonrefundable license, bonus point and application fees.

If it takes you 10 years to get drawn, you'll have dropped at least $7,000. If you hire a guide add several more thousand to that and you will be somewhere around $13-15,000.

Or, you could spend that same total amount and go on a fully guided Dall's sheep hunt in Alaska next year or as soon as you can save up the money. In the meantime, just pick Nevada or maybe a couple other states with the lowest application costs and apply for your bighorn. Use the Eastmans' MRS sections or the different state G&F sites to find the costs.

You probably have the best chance in NV since they square the number of bonus points. For example, if you have put in for 10 years you will have 101 chances to get drawn.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well... Ill be joining the madness that is accumulateing sheep points this year. Wanted to start last year as it was my first season as a colorado resident but didn't plan it well enough and couldn't afford it. Not the case this year!!! I'm hoping since I'm a resident, and will only be applying for archery that ill draw sooner then later. Fingers crossed!!!! I am fully aware how hard sheep hunting is let alone with archery. But I'm an archery hunter and am willing to except tag soup if that's my faith if/when I draw a sheep tag. Can one draw a ewe tag as a second choice while accumulateing points for a ram?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    to expect a sheep tag within 10yrs I think your only chance is one of the no pts states and getting lucky...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for such informative post really appreciate it

http://iaf-ifa.org/
    Last edited by Frances G. Beaver; 04-15-2014 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sheep tags... Have to agree with several comments that it's likely a better investment to just pay the $15k for a Dall tag. I am sitting on 55 points for Rocky/Desert sheep combined over 4 states and 0 tags to show. No idea what the sunk cost is or how much still to drop before the lotto hits. With points creep there is no way I would start building points in states like UT or WY with their draw systems... ID, NV, CO - more likely (likely being poor word choice) chance to draw sooner.

Bottom line, if all you want is one sheep... Pay for the Dall.