Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Wish I had 15 for elk I am about 9 off

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a membership to Hunters Trailhead $25 a year. Money well spent! It tracks your points & emails you reminders. It has lots of features, including a map of the US. You click on a state, select species, unit & weapon. It will give you the draw odds, how many tags & apps. It will also trend the last 5 years. It is really worth the money.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eberle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    Jim needs to hunt AZ
    Jim's gonna probably wait a couple more years until his kids are a bit older, so he can be gone for 3 weeks and make best use of those points
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 3 Posts
    Compared to how organized some of you are, I kind of wing it. I'm doing it for myself only and I'm real serious about a total of four states. Some suggestions and pitfalls based on what I've learned along the way:
    1) There is no substitute for starting early to build points for difficult to draw tags. It's easy to procrastinate on jumping thru hoops when the reward is 20-years or so out there. Don't do it!
    2) Make sure you understand the terminology (example: the difference between preference and bonus points) and rules in each state you're applying for ( example: Don't waste your points by applying first choice for an easy to draw unit when you could have drawn it with a second choice and keep your points. I did this on deer in WY the third year of their new point system because I was offered an opportunity to hunt on a private ranch. As a result I no longer have max points and may never be able to draw the very top units.)
    3) Once you've built up a significant amount of points in multiple states, be careful that you don't create conflicting hunts in the Event you are successful drawing multiple tags. You can only be one place at any given time!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a spread sheet set up. It even figures cumulative odds with points accounted, then accounts after each unsuccessful draw the odds of drawing any remaining outstanding tags. It allows me to withhold certain tags from my cumulative odds if they are too easy to draw and skewing the system (like an easy-to-draw Wyoming antelope tag).

It has taken years to put the spread sheet together, but with 43 applications this year... it saves my bacon. For example, I know that statistically I have a 15.69% chance of drawing a sheep tag this year.

Sadly, I enjoy research/application season almost as much as I enjoy hunting season. It is a sickness.

I would post it up so you guys could use it, but honestly it would take hours to try and teach how to use it. Somebody smarter than me could probably lock certain fields and make it more user-friendly, but I am not that good with Excel.
    Last edited by grizzly; 12-17-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 25 Times in 1 Post
    I fell like this might be the start of a support group. I am glad I am not the only one who spends half of their life looking over draw odds and preference points. My biggest problem is that one of the places I like to hunt is OTC, so I just keep drawing points in some states, and I don't know when I will even put in for a tag. One of these days, I am going to put down the bow and pick up my rifle, and some animals are going to be in trouble...maybe. lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly View Post

Sadly, I enjoy research/application season almost as much as I enjoy hunting season. It is a sickness.
    Same here, it can be a combo of stress and fun.... simalar to a hunt. So many choices and depending what you put in for, some luck may be needed as well.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Engideer View Post
    My biggest problem is that one of the places I like to hunt is OTC, so I just keep drawing points in some states, and I don't know when I will even put in for a tag. lol
    I dont think thats a problem. Its good to have an OTC area so you have a place to hunt while you are building points and on the years you dont draw anything else.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eberle View Post
    I have a membership to Hunters Trailhead $25 a year. Money well spent! It tracks your points & emails you reminders. It has lots of features, including a map of the US. You click on a state, select species, unit & weapon. It will give you the draw odds, how many tags & apps. It will also trend the last 5 years. It is really worth the money.
    This is what I do as well.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do a very similar set up to what UH does. I have the Excel Sheet that lists the state, Species, due date, points, and odds for drawing. After the year is over I file it away and start filling in the sheet again. The MRS helps a lot with have one place with all the dates in it for western hunting. When it comes to my home state of Michigan I just keep a log on the spreadsheet of my elk and bear points, and the DNR send me e-mails of when applications are due so if something slips past me i get a reminder e-mail from them.