Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks guys for all the responses. I guess I should have been more specific about the recoil. Shooting a rifle a few times won't make me flinch. It's when I take one out to the range and really put some lead through it, trying to shoot it from different shooting positions. I'm talking about a 15-25 rounds.

I have a .270win Winchester model 70 (8 1/2lbs estimated) no problems with recoil. The 7mm rem mag mentioned before (10 3/4lbs) no problem. While on the other hand, I have a 8 1/2lb Ruger m77 in .338 win mag that my brother gave me after he won it in a pool game. I can shoot this gun effectively out to 250-300. But after about the 5th or 6th shot...you guessed it: flinching time. I never really did that before I got scoped but now I can't seem to break it. I just didn't want suggestions for .300 mags or above for a 6-7 lb lightweight rifle. I want something I can shoot comfortably and get very good with it.

With that said I'm going this weekend to hold some of those models that I mentioned. I'll probably buy online but I want to handle the rifles and see which one feels natural when shouldering it. Out of the 3 scoped big game rifles I own the ruger seems to just fit me the best. The Remington Sendero is the most expensive but the Ruger just seems to feel better, like it was custom made for me. Too bad its .338 win mag.

Keep the suggestions coming guys. I'm leaning more towards the .308 or .270wsm. The 7mm-08 just seems a little light to me for when I draw an elk tag. Hell I'll admit I don't really even need a new rifle, I just want one!
    Last edited by Alabama; 12-19-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Keep the suggestions coming guys. I'm leaning more towards the .308 or .270wsm. The 7mm-08 just seems a little light to me for when I draw an elk tag. Hell I'll admit I don't really even need a new rifle, I just want one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1326.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	7372Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006 moose 3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	7373

I would have to disagree with the 7-08 being a little light for elk. Here are the pictures of some 7-08's success.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to alaska2go For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Remington 700 MTN SS 7-08 and 160gr ABs. Can no longer find my preferred 270 WSM model.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Alabama,

I was in the identical predicament with my 7MM Rem Mag. With scope it weighs 10 pounds, a lot when hiking up and down high mountains. So I decided to buy a lightweight rifle. I did a lot of cartridge research. I could have gone with any number of excellent cartridges. However, I wanted a short action rifle in order to keep it as light as possible. An interesting fact is that when considered with practical hunting bullets for western game, there is virtually no difference between the venerated '06 & .308 Win. So I bought a stainless Featherweight in .308 Win and have had zero buyer's remorse. It does kill as advertised. You won't be disappointed with a .308 Win. And it comes in short action.

I do have a lot of admiration for .284 projectiles. The 7MM-08 Rem would be an excellent choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Hell I'll admit I don't really even need a new rifle, I just want one!
    If you get 2 or 3 new ones it will make it alot easier to decide

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Weatherby Vanguard S2 .257 Wby.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Go with the 270 wsm. I have it in a Sako Finnlight. Great gun, great caliber.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A couple of things to keep in mind. First is stock design and fit. A stock of the correct length of pull, drop and comb design will make handling of recoil easier, especially in heavier calibers. Second is weight of bullet you are pushing down the barrel. I shoot LRBP in a Sharps single shot "buffalo" rifle. When you start shooting heavier weight bullets, the recoil increases tremendously. With black powder you always use a full case of powder and basically only changing the bullet weight. Those of you that shoot magnum calibers, try shooting a really light weight bullet and you will see what I mean.

I really think 140/150 gr is a light as I would ever go in a load you want to use for elk. I personally use a 180 gr Nosler Partition. Just remember the heavier the bullet, the more recoil you have to deal with. I personally like muzzle brakes especially for range/bench work. Mine screws on/off and usually remove it when I am hunting.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Winchester model 70 Extreme Weather SS: 6lb 8oz in .308, 6lbs 12oz in 7mm-08, $1007 best price, Excellent reviews with excellent stock and average trigger. 22" barrel and 41" overall length.

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless: 6lb 3oz both calibers, $678 best price, Mostly good reviews with excellent accuracy and lots of plastic. 22.5" barrel and 42.5" overall length.

Savage Weather Warrior model 16 FCSS: 6lb 14oz both calibers, $654 best price, Good reviews with excellent accuracy but average stock. 22" barrel and 41.75" overall length.

Remington model 700 Mountain SS: 6lb 8oz both calibers, $903 best price, Good reviews with average stock and good trigger. 22" barrel and 41 5/8 overall length.

Ruger M77 Hawkeye All Weather: 7lb both calibers, $656 best price, Mixed reviews with complaints about the trigger. 22" barrel and 42" overall length.

Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker: 6lb 5oz in 7mm-08, 6lb 8oz in .308, $951 best price, Mixed reviews with complaints of poor trigger but great stock and safety. 22" barrel and 41.75" overall length.

Alright guys, which one would you buy and the reason behind why you would buy that particular one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    savage. My buddy purchased the weather warrior w/ accu trigger & stock. That joker can shoot the wings off a mosquito @ 100 with it still living. I was very impressed with right of box accuracy w/ factory loads. I also like the 3 position safety. After we broke it in we were hitting 8" x 8" steel plate @ 600 yards every shot on a calm cold day ( -3F)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to alaska2go For This Useful Post: