Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

choosing a caliber for a new gun

I own a Remington Model 700 Sendero 7mm Rem magnum. I love this gun and it shoots way better than I do. The only problem I have with it is the weight. With scope, bipod, ammo, and sling it weighs about 10 3/4 lbs. I'm looking for a lighter all around rifle for antelope, deer, sheep, elk. The caliber I'm leaning towards is .308win but I'm not set on it. I won't lie, I'm not a guy that can handle a lot of recoil without flinching. The 7mm rem mag doesn't bother me but the gun is heavy and that has tamed it quite a bit. I know that a lighter rifle is going to have a greater felt recoil than a heavier gun. I'm not a long range guy, I feel comfortable out to 300 yards with any of my current guns and the very max I would shoot is 400 yards. Is this caliber sufficient at 400 yards or less to kill any of the above mentioned game animals.

What other caliber would you recommend for a light weight hunting rifle?
    Keep in mind I want a 22" barrel and 6-7lb bare gun at purchase.

Thanks, Wesley
    Last edited by Alabama; 12-14-2013 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you can locate one a Remington 700 MTN rifle in 7-08, 7x57, or .280 Remington would fit your needs and have plenty of punch for the shooting you describe.

Winchester's Model 70 Featherweight in any of the above mentioned calibers would be a great one too.

The Tikka is a nice lightweight rifle as well and comes in a variety of caliber choices that would work. The Tikka's also have a reputation of shooting quite well.
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I also like the 7/08 for your uses.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been looking at a few models and tons of reviews. The rifles I've narrowed it down to are:

1. Tikka T3 lite stainless: 22.44" barrel, 6lbs 3oz, 42.5" overall length, $678 best price
    2. Savage model 16 FCSS weather warrior: 22" barrel, 6 lbs 14oz, 41.75" overall length, $653 best price
    3. Remington model 700 mountain ss: 22" barrel, 6lbs 8oz, 41.6" overall length, $887 best price

The Winchester model 70 extreme weather ss is a bit over my budget of $1000. Weatherby is either over my weight limit or over my budget.
    I haven't checked On Browning or Ruger.
    Last edited by Alabama; 12-14-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Out of curiosity I just threw 4 guns on my meat scale and was slightly surprised by what they weighed.
    Model 70 Win pre 64 270 win with 24'' barrel, synthetic stock and Leupold scope. 9 1/2 pounds
    Model 70 Win SS 22-250 with 22'' barrel, synthetic stock and Leupold scope. 8 1/4
    Knight disc extreme 50 cal with synthetic stock and open sights. 7 3/4
    Model 1894 Win 30-30 with 26'' octagon barrel. 7 7/8.
    I thought both model 70's would be a bit lighter and wasnt expecting the ML to be the lightest. My scope weighs just over 11 oz so I expect with mounts and slings it added close to 1 pound to both model 70s. I think you will need a short action, 22'' barrel and synthetic stock to get to the weight you are looking for, as far as factory guns go anyways, so that leaves calibers like the 308 you mentioned, 7mm08, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 300 WSM, ect that will fit in a short action. If it were me I think I would chose the 270 WSM. They have just a bit more then the old 270 Win and fit in a short action.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Boy this is always such a loaded question.. I guess only thing I would add is if you go too light you will have to watch for recoil. 270 wsm is awfully nice in the Tikka. I'm a Browning abolt guy myself. I guess I just don't like change if it works.

But from what you have listed... Tikka is my vote.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Out of curiosity I just threw 4 guns on my meat scale and was slightly surprised by what they weighed.
    Model 70 Win pre 64 270 win with 24'' barrel, synthetic stock and Leupold scope. 9 1/2 pounds
    Model 70 Win SS 22-250 with 22'' barrel, synthetic stock and Leupold scope. 8 1/4
    Knight disc extreme 50 cal with synthetic stock and open sights. 7 3/4
    Model 1894 Win 30-30 with 26'' octagon barrel. 7 7/8.
    I thought both model 70's would be a bit lighter and wasnt expecting the ML to be the lightest. My scope weighs just over 11 oz so I expect with mounts and slings it added close to 1 pound to both model 70s. I think you will need a short action, 22'' barrel and synthetic stock to get to the weight you are looking for, as far as factory guns go anyways, so that leaves calibers like the 308 you mentioned, 7mm08, 270 WSM, 7mm WSM, 300 WSM, ect that will fit in a short action. If it were me I think I would chose the 270 WSM. They have just a bit more then the old 270 Win and fit in a short action.
    Yeah that's what I was wanting, a short action caliber so that I can get the most out of the short 22" barrel. I want Stainless for corrosion protection and a synthetic stock so I'm not scared to take it somewhere and get it scratched. I have a really nice wood stock gun that just sits in the safe unless I'm going to the range. It's kind of pointless having it really because I never use it.

All of those models that I listed are synthetic stock and stainless.

The .270wsm is also one of the calibers I was considering along with 7mm-08.
    Last edited by Alabama; 12-14-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Boy this is always such a loaded question.. I guess only thing I would add is if you go too light you will have to watch for recoil. 270 wsm is awfully nice in the Tikka. I'm a Browning abolt guy myself. I guess I just don't like change if it works.

But from what you have listed... Tikka is my vote.
    A loaded question? NO! People aren't religiously devoted to their brand of gun or caliber, are they?
    I'm not above considering a Browning or Ruger. I just haven't checked and I didn't know if they offered a light weight rifle.

I know what you mean about recoil. What got me flinching was a buddy had a light weight (6.5lbs I think) .300 weatherby magnum. I wasn't prepared for the recoil and it scoped me bad! It cut the edge of my nose and I had a slight black eye for a week.

I've been checking out different calibers in different bullet weights in different weight guns on this site. http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php
    Last edited by Alabama; 12-15-2013 at 01:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post
    Yeah that's what I was wanting, a short action caliber so that I can get the most out of the short 22" barrel. I want Stainless for corrosion protection and a synthetic stock so I'm not scared to take it somewhere and get it scratched. I have a really nice wood stock gun that just sits in the safe unless I'm going to the range. It's kind of pointless having it really because I never use it.

All of those models that I listed are synthetic stock and stainless.

The .270wsm is also one of the calibers I was considering along with 7mm-08.
    I put the synthetic stock on my 270 mostly because I didnt want to scratch up the nice wood stock it came with, also the synthetic is a bit lighter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 4 Posts
    I have a kimber montana in a 7-08 .. 22" barrel.. I reload for it using varget powder. Burris ballistic plex scope 6 pounds 8oz. Deadly accurate out to 700 yards and have harvested all the critters listed above plus caribou, a 7' black bear, & a 7' grizz. The longest shot @ 362 yards caribou traveled maybe 30 yards. My 12 year old also shoots this rifle with no complants about recoil.