Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Muzzleloader Accuracy?

Hi, I have a question about my muzzleloader that I have and how to improve its accuracy it a a Blackdiamond Thompson Center. I live in Oregon so Sabots are illegal and I have been using Maxi Hunters 350 grain bullets and varying my triple 7 powder but usually use 100 grains of powder. I have been on 3 hunts and have had a heck of a time with penetration and lost a couple of animals I also cannot get the rifle to group consistently from one day to the next. Is there a suggested bullet or load that you can recommend for my rifle? Or is there only going to be accuracy shooting sabots, and if so could you suggest a sabot that I can try and shoot out of it for my out of state hunts?
    Thank you in advance,
    Last edited by The Deer; 12-16-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a T/C Black Diamond that I sold last year. It would not group really well and it also was very prone to getting rust in the trigger/action when it rained. That being said, I sold it and bought a T/C Pro Hunter.

From what i have been able to learn, M/L barrel dimensions vary a lot. I got ahold of Thor Bullets and Terry sent me a kit to determine the actual bore diameter. He makes bullets that actually fit.I would start there first.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a T/C Black Diamond that I sold last year. It would not group really well and it also was very prone to getting rust in the trigger/action when it rained. That being said, I sold it and bought a T/C Pro Hunter.

From what i have been able to learn, M/L barrel dimensions vary a lot. I got ahold of Thor Bullets and Terry sent me a kit to determine the actual bore diameter. He makes bullets that actually fit.I would start there first.

Their webpage is: thorbullets.com
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post

Their webpage is: thorbullets.com
    Thank you CC that is good info I will get a hold of Thor

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 7 Posts
    I believe you have a fast twist barrel in that rifle (1:28) that is designed for sabots. If so you should be shooting a bullet closer to 450 grains for the bullet to stabilize properly and get the best accuracy. The 460 grain No Excuses bullet is a great bullet for Oregon and fits the legal requirements and shoots very well out of fast twist barrels. It is die sized and lubed for easy and consistent loading. Longer heavier bullets will also be less prone to shedding energy and have better down range performance. As an example, a round ball is not effective much beyond 50 yards due to limited energy.

Here is the link for the No Excuses bullets.

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com

For good accuracy keep your powder amount closer to 80 grains.

With T-7 make sure you follow a very consistent bore swabbing procedure between every shot. Use a very very slightly damp patch or two, followed by a dry patch or two between each shot.

Up until this year Thor bullet (all copper) would have been illegal in Oregon. Only all lead bullets have been allowed in the past, but this year there has been a change to the wording in the regs and the Thor bullets just might be legal, but I'm not certain. It has to do with how "federally-approved nontoxic shot material" is defined. The 2014 Oregon regs say:

"Only conical bullets made of lead, lead alloy, or federally-approved nontoxic shot material, with a length that does not exceed twice the diameter, and round balls made of lead, lead alloy, or federally-approved nontoxic material, used with cloth, paper or felt patches are allowed during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only."
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 12-16-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Umpqua Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank you UH Hunter that sounds like sound advice I am going to look into thor bullets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nothing wrong with a 1:28 twist, my cva and traditions have zero trouble shooting conicals.

I'd completely break the rifle down for a good solid scrubbing, run about 50 strokes of remington 40x bore cleaner, reoil the bore and the next time you head out, see how that works.

Im not a big fan of tc guns for shooting conicals as the QLA often limits them from being tack drivers with them, but that model ive seen quite often and it shouldnt be having a problem with the maxiballs.

How old is the powder?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by FrontierMuzzleloading View Post
    Nothing wrong with a 1:28 twist, my cva and traditions have zero trouble shooting conicals.

I'd completely break the rifle down for a good solid scrubbing, run about 50 strokes of remington 40x bore cleaner, reoil the bore and the next time you head out, see how that works.

Im not a big fan of tc guns for shooting conicals as the QLA often limits them from being tack drivers with them, but that model ive seen quite often and it shouldnt be having a problem with the maxiballs.

How old is the powder?
    The powder was bought this summer

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a T/C Omega. I never got great groups until I switched to Thors. They are very accurate out of my gun. Listen to FrontierMuzzleloading... he knows his stuff! I'm sure he will help you get things figured out. The website/ forum he administers has tons of good info too. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I had a similar problem with my TC Omega. Originally I was shooting 1.5 inch groups and over an off season my M/L switched to 18 inch groups. After several discussions with T/C customer service and technical group they recommended bullets like the Hornady FPB or the Thor style bullet for those that can not shoot a sabot. They absolutely did not recommend the Powerbelts or the T/C maxi ball for the 1:28 twist barrel. Currently I am shooting the hornady and on deer I have had pass throughs at 100 yds.