Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    Really wasn't a place for it since the STW was already widely available.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Never been a fan of the Ultras. My son has a .300 Ultra and I really don't think it will do much more than my .300 Wby. It gets about 100fps more for 10 grains more powder. Suspect the 7mm Ultra is about the same when you start handloading them. For deer and smaller, hard to beat my old 25-06. For elk, I'll stick to my .30s.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    For the life of me, I can't figure out what advantage super magnums have over standard cartridges. Regardless of cartridge, all animals will die sans heart and/or lungs. What destroys them is immaterial. That they are destroyed is.

A .280 Rem will kill big game just as dead as a super magnum. Ditto for the .308 Win.

I do own a 7MM Rem Mag because when I took up elk hunting it was the cartridge to have to kill elk. I learned too late that a .280 Rem will kill elk just as dead. And a .280 Rem will shoot a lot farther than most hunters can accurately shoot.

Just my 2 cents which ain't worth $37 and change.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    The 7mm u-mag may be a little faster then the 7mm rem mag but what does that really gain the average hunter? Historically many good calibers never really took hold simply because they were to close to other already well established calibers. Calibers like the 30 and 32 Remington. They were every bit as good as the 30-30 and 32 Win special they were designed to compete with but the Winchesters were already established and the Remingtons never got very far. I have a 32 rem and I like it alot but go buy bullets and they will cost 4 times what 30-30s cost.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 2 Posts
    I have a 300 Rum it shoots pretty flat the 7mm Rum will shoot flatter it's all in what U want if I had not got the 300 before the 7mm came out I would probly have the 7mm if I was looking for another cal an wasnt worried bout recoil it would be 7mm Rum 338 Rum or 375 Rum

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Really wasn't a place for it since the STW was already widely available.
    First of all I want to say hi to everyone.
    Agree with you packmule. I believe the 7 rum is fading out, Remington discontinuing it must say something. The 7mm Rem is just hard to beat, you may be able to get another 100, 200 fps more from a RUM or a STW ( which is cool ), but for probably 99.9 % of hunters will never know the difference. Just another overbore ultra mag phase victim.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Let me say to start with that I have been reloading for over 50 years and have built plenty of wildcat guns. In todays world I think the term "overbore" is pretty much out of date. When I first started reloading there were far fewer choices in powders available and lots of the powders were military surplus back then. Today we have so many choices in powders with different burning rates that you can pick a powder that will suit almost any caliber and perform excellently and still give good barrel life. Overbore used to mean (at least to me) that you filled a piece of brass full of powder and fired it there was still unburned powder left in the barrel or when you used a fast burning powder, the barrel got so hot that it's longevity was compromised. Today it is pretty easy to find a powder that will burn efficiently in any sized caliber.

Bottom line on a calibers popularity and efficiency is to find the right powder that performs the way you want it to....no matter what others are using. Every rifle/caliber combination is different and all are not created equal. Thats why I reload, I like to find what my particular rifle shoots best and performs to my expectations.

I gave my opinion on this posts original question in post 12, but just couldn't resist when the "overbore" question was brought up.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 1 Post
    The RUM takes to much powder and adds to much recoil to offset the performance it offers over the regular 7 RM for me. I think lots of other hunters feel the same way. Also Nosler's reloading manual even talks about the barrel life being bad, I think it was around 400rds if I remember correctly. I don't have the book here, might be off on that.