Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unit G Wyoming Mule Deer BowHunt

Well this my first post on the site. After 4 years of collecting points I decided to lock in on an outfitted bow hunt in Unit G for the 2014 season.

I'm real excited and understand it will be challenging and odds will be difficult at best to fill my tag but I'm a die hard archer and am up for the challenge.

Any words of advice out there that will prepare me for my hunt and what is every ones opinion of area G?

I believe I booked with the best outfitter in the area.....he seems to put down giants every year.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Sounds like you've already done your homework and now just practice plenty until the hunt and trust that your outfitter/guide will get you on game. Good luck and post pictures next Fall!

Thanks
    Yeppers. Don't know if you have hunted with outfitters much, but let them do their job. It's easy to get frustrated if the hunt is not playing out according to the dream we had in our minds, but a good outfitter will usually produce.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1996 YT), Fannin (1997 YT), Bighorn (1998 CO Unit S-26), Stone (1995 BC), Desert (2001 NV Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 WY Unit 5)

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice so far....this is my first trip out west and I have heard in that big of country that a good outfitter is invaluable.

To date I've only whitetail hunted and have been rather successful. I plan on practicing how to 60 yards as that is the range where I'd be comfortable shooting at a live animal. Will that be far enough or do I need to practice out further? Also should I go with an expandable or fixed head broad head.....I have used 100 grain Montecs and kill zones both with success?

Thanks
    I'm not sure what the rules are for broadheads in WY but if you can shoot a fixed blade constant and accurately that far I would shoot fixed. I like montecs, I also like slick tricks, they fly really well at longer distances. I would Also practice farther just to make the closer shots easier. Pay attention to wind and see how your arrow drifts.

Thanks
    Another thought, make sure your outfitter is proven successful at bowhunting as is the specific guide you will be hunting with. A lot of outfitters can be good with rifle hunters and be a bust with archery hunters. No doubt a good guide can locate bucks, but you want a guide who then knows how to help his archery hunters put the buck on the ground. That is vastly different than killing a buck 400 yards with a rifle.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1996 YT), Fannin (1997 YT), Bighorn (1998 CO Unit S-26), Stone (1995 BC), Desert (2001 NV Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 WY Unit 5)

Thanks
    +1 on practicing at further distances than you plan to shoot. Good Luck and have fun!

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010013.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	7369Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM003252.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	7370All good advice that should be listened to! Wyoming requires a minimum 1" blade and it can be fixed or expandable. IMHO you should stay with your fixed blades from a good manufacturer like what you are using on whitetails and you'll do fine. Hunting mulies out there should be a blast and then you'll probably want to turn your attention to elk out there, as IMHO it doesn't get any better than hunting the rut for screaming bulls with a bow in hand! Here are two that I helped friends take where we hunt in Wyoming. After you take a nice mulie out there, try your hand at elk, as you won't regret it.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-19-2013 at 01:19 PM.

Thanks
    Outfitter hasn't taken a bow hunters in a few years....after waiting quite a few years accumulating points...sounds like not to many guys want to travel all that way with anything other than a rifle.

He was upfront about that but confident we have a good chance at getting it done. Like I said before, this outfitter has gotten it done on some giants with the rifle for years. I know G is some rough country...just hope I can get in range with the stick and string.

Thanks
    Get in shape. Lots of walking up and down hills