Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

What release do you use?

I recently went on a hunting trip and ended up leaving my release somewhere after shedding some layers... pretty awesome feeling to get to a buck you want to stalk and realize you left your release somewhere about 2 miles back. We weren't able to find the release so I had to buy a cheap one from the only place in town with a release. So, now I'm in the market for another good release. I was shooting a tru-fire edge buckle foldback and really liked it, but I am looking to make a change from that one as well.

I was looking at a few hand held releases, but wasn't sure how these would function in a spot-stalk hunting situation. The two I was looking at were the tru-fire hardcore 4 finger and the scott longhorn hunter. I'm not counting out the trigger style releases as well, and I like the tru-fire hardcore max fold back as well.

What style release does everyone shoot? Any advantages/disadvantages to the hand style releases? What about back tension vs. thumb trigger? I'm still not sure I want to switch to a hand release for hunting, but want to use the same release for hunting and off-season shooting.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    I don't think back tension is a great hunting release IMO. I use a Jim Fletcher fletch hook and love it. Its a loop only release. You almost can't torque with it and a loop. I have shot it for the last 6 yrs and have never had an issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks
    I have a tur-fire an Im looking at upgrading to the hardcore like the looks of the hook style release

Thanks
    I absolutely love my Scott caliper release. You can pick it up for $40 on ebay and it is an extremely well built product. The trigger is very adjustable, the black leather buckle lasts for years and years, the head is a full metal dual caliper design which is very foolproof. I have put thousands of shots through my scott caliper and have never once had a problem. It is one of the best purchases I have ever made as far as archery equipment. period.
    Last edited by dhershberger; 12-21-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    I've been shooting the T.R.U. Ball Max Hunter caliper release for 3 years now. I really like the mechanics of the release and that I release it by pushing my thumb forward. It took a little to get used to at first but now I love it. Note: be careful when walking with this release attached to the bow if a stick bumps the thumb release it is falling off as this is not a wrist strap style release.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/brows...&WTz_stype=GNU

Thanks
    Scott little goose with a buckle wrist strap. Don't care for any Velcro straps to noisy and to stiff.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    Scott little goose with a buckle wrist strap. Don't care for any Velcro straps to noisy and to stiff.
    The little gosse has a strap instead of metal between the caliper and buckle strap right? Does that not flip around and knock on a bunch of stuff? I feel like it would smack everything loud wheni was on a stalk
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    the trufire hardcore wrist release is a solid release that increased my accuracy
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Tru-ball max pro 4 with the wrist lanyard. I carry two triggers after learning the hard way. If I lose one, I have to dig in my pack, but at least my hunt isn't over.

If I lose two, I deserve tag soup.

Thanks
    TrueFire, but I have a bunch of friends who swear by the Carters "like mike".

Go buckle, nothing worse than the noise of a Velcro strap.