Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wyo elk partner

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyo elk partner

I'm looking for someone with 6+ Wyo elk pref pts that is interested in hunting a great limited elk unit in 2014 and is willing to apply with me in a party application. I live fairly close to the unit and will likely spend a lot of time pre-season scouting and archery hunting. If unsuccessful with bow I will continue hunting during the rifle season. I would be willing to pass along all research, scouting, and hunting info...and possibly join you on the hunt. Please send me an email if you are interested; jseb@lamar.colostate.edu

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It sounds like you don't have enough PPs to draw the tag by yourself and want to take advantage of someone that does by possibly giving them information or maybe going with them. Is that correct and how would someone that is making their first post here like you are assure a perspective person that they would benefit if all you want is possibly their PP value to draw your tag? I did that once on an antelope hunt two years ago and everything worked out fine, but I haven't seen or heard from the guy since he left my camp!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Welcome to the forum, jimss.

What part of the state are you wanting to hunt?
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    He's from Colorado, so probably somewhere down in the southern units, but I doubt he wants to mention where he wants to go out on the Forums and that's probably why he has his email addy up. How can a resident up in Basin that doesn't have any PPs unless he knows an NR with 6+ PPs help him? I hope he's on the up and up and is able to accomplish what he wants while helping someone else out and that ls what I was getting at in my post. I know if I had 6+ PPs and wanted to get into that type of scenario it would be as party leader so I could somewhat control my destiny. Good luck jimss!!!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-22-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you want a little bit of background info. I grew up in Wyoming and currently live in Northern Colo. I hunt Wyo antelope just about every year and hunt Wyo deer and elk as often as I can draw quality limited tags. I pride myself in doing a lot of research, scouting, and hunting as hard as anyone I know. My offer is not trying to take advantage of anyone and I'm trusting that the other person isn't trying to take advantage of me. I've done a few swap hunts over the years and most are great experiences with new found lifetime friends. There are always a few sour grapes that spoil it for everyone. I haven't done a swap hunt for a long time because I got screwed by a sour grape a few years back.

Topgun is right that I am searching for someone that is willing to apply with me to successfully draw tags. I have quite a few pref pts. With a party application it would allow us to pool our pref pts and both draw a super elk unit. I am 1 or 2 pts away from drawing with my current pref pts in the regular draw and pretty close in the special draw. It would certainly be nice to save $400 in the regular draw rather than spending $1,000 for the special tag...and that is one of my motives. With a party application we would both likely draw a regular priced tag..especially if you have 7 or 8 pref pts. I intend on scouting the elk unit just like I do other trophy hunts and would be willing to share that info with someone else that applies with me. Depending on whether you like to bow or rifle hunt it is possible we can meet up, have a great time, and help eachother on the hunt.

As mentioned earlier I do a lot of research and scouting to find great units to hunt that don't take max pref pts to draw. I would be somewhat of a fool to mention the unit/s I'm interested in on the web in fear of draw odds going through the roof. If anyone is seriously interested I would be willing to share lots of photos from recent trips. I put a lot of hard work and foot leather into my hunts and they usually end up successful. If anyone is interested I know a number of deer and antelope options that don't take max pref pts to draw.

I've met a lot of great guys over the years through the web and this is just another way 2 of us could draw tags and have a great time hunting!
    jseb@lamar.colostate.edu

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    How can a resident up in Basin that doesn't have any PPs unless he knows an NR with 6+ PPs help him?
    I have no interest in hunting with him. Just trying to spark conversation and be nice since you're kind of being a rude dude.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elkoholic307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I apologize if it sounded like that, but I was just trying to say that a person would need to be very cautious when they are being asked to use their PPs to help someone they don't know from Adam that has less than they do. That is trying to be realistic, rather than rude. The way the party system works once the applications are in the only one that can change things is the leader. If he was the leader, what if he decided to change the unit number from a number he gave you information on just to use your extra PPs to draw a tag? What if he completely withdrew the applications during the modify/withdraw period. The former would mean you would be going blind and the latter would mean that you wouldn't even draw a tag. I would hope that this wouldn't happen, but anything would be possible in this kind of situation where jimss is just offering information for a bunch of someones extra PPs when he says he may hunt with the person. IMHO the only way I would work a deal like that would be with the stipulation that the two definitely hunt together to avoid either of the scenarios I mentioned. I have no reason to believe that the OP would do either, but I'm saying that something like that could happen.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-22-2013 at 04:39 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'll vouch for Jimss. He's a hardcore hunter. The guy has more big DIY elk than most guys could ever hope to shoot, including a 390 plus bull from a few years ago. He's a cross country runner and avid bicyclist and I'd doubt few guys can hang with him when it comes time to cover some country especially when walking uphill. He was a long time Wyoming resident and knows a lot about Wyoming elk hunting. If any of you guys have max elk points, aren't sure where to burn them, and need a partner, this is yer opportunity...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Triple BB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Triple BB if you are talking about his Utah Bull he is a giant! Jimss, I believe is a straight shooter.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks BB for the kind words! If it eases your mind Topgun I would let the person that applies with me be the party leader. They would likely have more to loose than me; however, I have quite a few pref pts on the line and want to use them wisely. I'm interested in a quality hunt with trophy quality bulls so there is no way I would apply for anything other than a great unit. Many Wyo nonres have nothing to bank on when they apply for tags other than the fact that they are applying in units recommended by Eastmans, Carter, or others. I'm not saying that is bad but there are units they don't recommend that potentially can be just as good and don't take as many pts to draw. It also may take a few trips to figure things out...which is pretty tough to do if you don't live in the area.

Obviously Topgun brings up a good point to do a little researching before applying....with me, a guide, or anyone else! I'm confident if someone is interested in applying with me they will be assured before they apply that they will have a great hunt and aren't going to get screwed. If you are interested please contact me: jseb@lamar.colostate.edu