Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fletching arrows

I need some advice and opinions on the best method and tools to refletch my arrows. I am shooting full metal jacket arrows with a 2 degree offset and blazer vanes. As I need to refletch the arrows I would like to do it myself but am confused by the various options available. Should I continue with the 2 degree offset or switch to helical? I am looking to buy a single jig that will serve to refletch my FMJs as well as my hunting partner's carbon arrows and my kid's Genesis arrows...any suggestions? I only started archery hunting a year ago so I need some help. I would appreciate any guidance you can provide. Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Simply one opinion out of many here, however, I have not gone wrong with a bitzenberger jig with blazer vanes... Yes, it is time consuming to do one at a time... With that said make sure to wipe the contact side of the vane and the arrow itself with acetone or similar surface cleaner to get powder residue and petroleum off before setting into the jig, Goat Tuff works well as the adhesive, I've found that it is a bit better than fletch tite...

You could use an Arizona fletch jig but since it is plastic, sometimes the vanes come out a small touch off if you are the really anal type! They do have a nice helical and is fairly reliable. The Bitz will get you a nice offset and 2-3 degrees is just about perfect for any speed-bow... Anything shooting 270 fps or better.... Like I said, just my opinion... Hope it helps! Happy fletching
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the Bohning Helix Jig. It does one fletch at a time but is made for blazer vanes. Puts a nice helical on them and it works with all arrows, just fletched up some FMJ's with it and it worked well.
    Shoot STR8

Eastmans' Staff / Forum Administrator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    +1 Graylight....and I always go with the if it ain't broke don't fix it. I've been using the bitzenberger since I learned how to fletch. Time consuming, well kind of, but isn't that the beauty of arrow building? I know that I take pride in my arrows, not only for mechanical reasons, but for confidence when I do draw back. Making sure that every single arrow you build is exactly the same as the one that just left the jig is maybe a little time consuming, but worth it if you take your equipment seriously.
    Adam Bender

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks all, I appreciate the comments. It sounds like a true helical is not the prevailing preference (kind of surprised by that really) so I think I will stick with the tried and true. If there are any other counter opinions out there I would still like to hear them but it sounds like I am headed towards the bitzenberger! Thanks again.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I currently use 400 FMJs and put as much helical as possible on them. I have a Jo-Jan fletch jig. I tend to see better grouping especially when I shoot my broadheads. I use 2-blade Magnus stinger 100 grain Buzzcut's. I feel with more helical the arrow stabilizes quicker giving you better accuracy IMO. Here's a picture of my arrow after it pass-thru a mulie buck at 27 yards and stuck it a tree
    15yds on the other side of the deer.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is an awesome picture of your mule deer Maxhunter. I love the fog in the background.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitzenburger jig, straight clamp and Loc-tite Gel glue. I have a right helical clamp but prefer the straight with a 2 degree off-set and have LOVED the Loc-tite gel glue. Trust me, your vanes won't come off.

CR

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Bitzenburger, with a helical. Worked in a shop for 3.5 years, and I fletched a lot of arrows, and used them all. The Bitzenburger is by far the best, and will last for every, litteraly. It cost the most, and I would by three of them if you can. But like I said, it will last for ever, and is the easiest to use.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The picture of the deer and the arrow in the tree are awesome! What does everyone think of the Arizona EZ fletch?