Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this even possible?

I have been looking at draw odds on the non resident random draw and available public land for antelope in Wyoming for a while now. It appears everywhere with public land there is almost no chance to tray and all the areas with no public land seems to have a ton of available non resident tags. Seriously why so many tags for areas with private land only lol... I have read about trespass fees, wondering what could I normally expect in terms of fees?

Now that brings me down to my "is it even possible" question. On top of antelope hunting I want to mule deer hunt at this same time. As a non resident with no points should I even consider this? Antelope units 109 and 102 look like I could draw easy enough, and that is in deer unit Y which I could also draw easy enough. Though Wyoming game and fish rates these units as difficult access.

I mule deer hunted in zone R last year by medicine mountain and I absolutely loved it! I saw some huge moose and elk. Didn't see any big mullies but our group did end up tagging a couple smaller bucks. I am looking forward to getting back out to Wyoming.

Just to prove I'm not bsing here are a couple pics of the moose we saw. We were able to get within 200yds to snap these pics. Actually stopped stalking a small mule deer to get a better look at these guys!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moose.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	12159 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moose1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	12160

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Sure its possible, if you can find a rancher that will let you hunt his property. Units with left over tags are mostly private land and trespass fees are all over the board. Probably $250 - $1500 dollars. Some ranchers operate on their own......some are tied up with outfitters. In those units with lots of tags and lots of private property its just a matter of money. If you have a pocket full of money you can find a place to hunt. Generally deer cost a lot more than antelope. Ranchers value the deer.....antelope are more of a nuisance.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to roknHS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    In unit 23 everybody I called wanted $400 per antelope buck.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    We met two ranchers, one while hunting and one in a gas station, who both granted us access for goats on the spot. We didn't even need to ask them, they simply offered. Both referred to them as nuisances and just said go for it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by siwulat View Post
    We met two ranchers, one while hunting and one in a gas station, who both granted us access for goats on the spot. We didn't even need to ask them, they simply offered. Both referred to them as nuisances and just said go for it.
    That is a little risky if you have to travel a long ways to hunt. Glad you found free access though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes I certainly wouldn't plan a trip around a plan like that. Just pointing out that it is possible there are willing landowners who might not be on the list. Obviously if a pre season trip is possible that would also up the odds of access.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Questions for you...can not leave to hunt till my son's football season ends. Not necessary looking for record bucks but want to see mule deer, other wildlife and have a great adventure. Is there public land? How bad is hunting pressure? Would hunt late Oct...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There's tons of public land. Questions for you...what state, species (you mention MD but this is a goat thread), unit? Is this a 2015 gig? Any points?

You should be able to get some of your questions answered. There is a plethora of knowledgeable people here.
    Last edited by siwulat; 01-24-2015 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Its not that there are more tags or alot of tags for these areas with difficult public access, there is just less demand for tags in those units because of the difficult access. If you do hunt these areas do alot of research on access and get a gps chip. I think your best bet to hunt deer and antelope together on 2nd choice tags would be private land.
    "Now two flags fly above my land that really sum up how I fee. One is the colors that fly high and proud The red, the white, the blue. The other one's got a rattlesnake With a simple statement made "Don't tread on me" is what it says and I'll take that to my grave. Because this is me. I'm proud to be American and strong in my beliefs. And I've said it before but I'll say it again 'Cause my family's always fought and died to save this land. And a country boy is all I'll ever be."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Shoot 4 does for $165 and leave the $280 buck tag till you have enough points to make it worthwhile. I haven't used a point, payed trespass, or hunted pvt land yet. Very doable if you go that route.