Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 5 Posts

Good eating antelope

I have heard some people say that antelope are inedible which I think is a bunch of bull. I have been lucky enough to draw
    3 antelope tags in NV since 1989. I've never had a bad one. My wife and I think they are the best eating. My last one had been feeding in an alfalfa field and that was the best one to date.
    Do you guys that get to hunt antelope evey year agree or is it just that it take me so long to draw the tag?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 5 Posts
    I've gotten one or two antelope every year for the last 4 years the only one that didn't taste great is the one that I didn't get the hide off soon enough, that was my fault though and it did still taste descent. None of the ones I've killed were any where near a field.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    I think a lot of it has to do with how it was shot and then how it was immediately handled after the shot. I really enjoy the meat.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 35 Times in 2 Posts

Good eating antelope

I agree that antelope is at the top of my list of delectable table fare, absolutely love it! Anyone that says differently most likely failed somewhere in the meat handling/processing stage.
    Last edited by ceby7; 12-30-2014 at 02:58 PM.
    I recognized long ago that if I have a warehouse full of guns, but no public land or public wildlife, I have nothing!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 96 Times in 9 Posts
    I love antelope, it is one of our favorites. Years ago my mom would not touch venison due to a bad experience with a deer years before. We got her to try antelope and she loved it.

I think 90% of bad game comes from how it is handled. I once met a guy antelope hunting, he told me he had killed a doe but was still looking for another one. I looked in the back of his truck and there as a round bloated doe.....ungutted. If someone treated a beef like that it wouldn't be very good eating either. I don't understand that, the only reason you shoot does is for meat, so at least care for the meat.

Since most of our antelope hunts take place in the desert, we take a large ice chest loaded with ice. We gutless field dress, place the pieces in heavy garbage bags and immediately submerge them in ice to get a quick chill on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 5 Posts
    Antelope is one of my favorite wild game table-fare. I agree that it can get screwed up by not taking care of the meat properly after the kill, especially when you consider the temperatures that you encounter during the season. Getting the hide off quickly is a must, as is the initial cool down. I carry a large (120 qt) cooler with ice that the meat will go in immediately.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 47 Times in 8 Posts
    It's very obvious that everyone here that's responded knows how to take care of the animal to get some good eating. Don't run them all over the county, get the hide off ASAP and the meat broken down and in a cooler and they are great. Anyone that would put an animal of any sort in the back or a truck and drive around with it before they field dress it should lose their license privileges!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Topgun 30-06 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have killed a dozen Antelope and never had one that did not taste good and I haul them from Wyoming to Tennessee. As already stated it how you handle it after the kill. Any new recipes !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Well, I think I have mentioned on here that antelope is not my favorite. I might have to give it another try next year with some of this advise. I had one bad one and the next ones have all been turned into sausage without even thinking about, or sometimes burger for chili which I do like quite a bit. I probably failed in the meat handling, but I don't remember what happened with that bad one. Deer and elk seem to have a little more room for error which is why I seem to like them better. I haven't tried that gutless quartering on an antelope yet, which might help me get it skinned and packed out on ice sooner which would help I am sure. Sometimes I have a what's over the next hill attitude hunting and end up way far from where I wanted. Then it takes me a long time to get the meat on ice, which is going to be my excuse for the meat. I am also pretty spoiled when it comes to meat, and I don't like bacon which means I am weird in general.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 3 Posts
    I have been lucky enough to take 5 antelope in the last 2 years. All of which were cared for the same. Hide removed and meat deboned immediately. A couple of them took a little longer to get on ice due to how far I was from my truck while mule deer hunting with a antelope doe tag but never more than 3-4 hrs after the kill and all were in mid October so temps were a little cooler anyway. The first year we cooked some backstrap in camp on a Coleman stove with nothing special just seasoning and it was excellent. Well, the first time my wife cooked some at home it was HORRIBLE! We literally could not finish it. Every bite smelled like a nasty antelope. The next several times we ate it, I did the cooking and it was all good but since then she has cooked it the same way many times and it's always been good. I don't know what happened to that first pack of meat but something was wrong with it so I can definitely see how people develop a dislike for it. Antelope burgers have become our favorite!