Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

best wy antelope

here's my dilema... gotta have the hunt in september so i have been eliminating areas that are in sept... then eliminating everything else... here's what i got.

2 ppl going. we both have 3 pref points.

we will be gun hunting.

areas i have done reading looking for decent size ones are as follows.
    72, 71, 50, 46, 47, 32, 73, 74, 75, and 88

these all meet criteria for pref points/ hunt times/ and decent areas for bigger ones.

what i really need is of all the areas i listed.... which ones are the better ones for BIG bucks and decent public access. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you are hunting public land I would personally pick a unit with the most public land available. My experience with WY that most areas have the ability to grow big antelope bucks but you need the area to hunt them. I narrow my search down by public land, then by draw odds, and go from there. It also depends on your definition of 'big'.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Welcome to the form! When the WY MRS comes out it should help you narrow it down. Good luck!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    what is MRS ?? of the areas listed what do you think would be the best bet for quality bucks with decent public land ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
    what is MRS ?? of the areas listed what do you think would be the best bet for quality bucks with decent public land ?
    If you buy a subscription to Eastman's magazine, there will be a section called the MRS (Member Research Section). They rate the tope antelope areas in the state according to trophy quality, access, dates, success, draw odds, etc. It would answer pretty much all of your questions. With a subscription you will have access to log in on-line and look at the past MRSs, so you could see them for the past couple years. Look at the Feb/March issues.

If you look in the Wyoming regulations, the areas with difficult access will have an * next to the hunt number. You can use that to further whittle down your list of units.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 12-22-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pick an area with the most public access and lowest quota for your points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've hunted 72, 71, 47, 32, 73, & 74 in the past 10-12 years. I've shot 80" plus bucks in three of those areas. I've seen 80" bucks in all of them and I've seen harvested B&C bucks come out of 4 of those areas. Do your homework and spend yer time scouting and you'll find decent goats...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I think Triple BB hit on it that there are some 80" bucks in most Wyoming units, but finding them a lot of times takes many hours of scouting that an NR doesn't have. It seems like most of the NRs that hunt antelope just plan a 3-5 day hunt and most of the time that probably isn't go to allow enough time to find the better bucks unless you just happen to stumble onto one. I have drawn three buck tags in the unit I like over the last 10 years and killed bucks that were 14-14 1/2 inches and the last two were really nice ones. The prongs on the one in 2012 were high enough up such that I got 3 circumference scores below them that put him slightly above 80". There aren't that many shot that have prongs high up enough to get that 3rd measurement below them and it was just a fraction of an inch that allowed it or he would have lost a lot if that measurement had been above the prong. However, he shrunk enough in the 60 day drying period that he dropped a little below that, but still made a real nice Euromount. The OP has not stated what he calls a "big buck", so I have no idea whether he will settle for a 75" one or is talking about one well into the 80s. If it's the latter, it will take a lot of days hunting/scouting to get one like that because they don't grow on trees.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've hunted in several of the units that Triple BB mentioned. In 2012 I was in one of them and spent almost a week looking for one that I was willing to pull the trigger on. My hunting buddy had already taken his goat and we both has 2 does apiece, but I was still holding out. I got a call from home that said I'd better get to California ASAP as my Dad was not doing well. Went back to where I had seen a decent buck on day 2 and shot him (was low to mid 70's). On our way back to camp, saw a real nice buck that would probably have gone close to 80. Thats how things go.......

I do have one on the wall at home that measured 79+ that I took from the same area in 1995. They are there, you just have to keep after them......and get a little lucky too.
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-23-2013 at 01:06 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I guess it all comes down to what Lazarus believes to be a "big" buck. My experience in WY in units 96, 63, and 48 (sorry, no experience in the ones he lists) is that low to mid-70s bucks are plentiful for the 3-5 day hunt, but, as has been said, you'd better bank some time if you want to find an 80s buck. I still haven't had the time to do that yet...someday...