Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hunting With Someone You Meet On a Hunting Forum...

I have never done this, always been told that could be a huge mistake. But at the same time, it's hard for some of us to find someone with the same amount of hunting obsession/passion and knowledge. I know of quite a few situations where people did this and it always seems to be just a good time and they do well. I just don't know anyone in person who shares the same obsession as me. So it is very tempting for me to plan a hunt with...well...a stranger! But obviously you would meet up before the hunt? I don't know, anyone have experiences or just info on this? Seems dumb and risky, but awesome at the same time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have done it numerous times and its been great every time. Share numerous emails, and make some actual phone calls and talk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Don K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I see nothing wrong with it.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Have done it five times. One guy has hunted with me two years in a row now and will again next year. I went with a guy and his daughter on a ML hunt in NM and it was not what was described, but we had a good time. One guy shared his antelope PPs with me two years ago in Wyoming so that we could hunt the unit I knew well and the hunt went just fine. One guy hunted one time with me in my area and with my help took home 2 deer and 2 antelope and I've never heard from him since he left with not even a thank you! The other hunt was with a guy I thought I knew really well after being on a website for over two years and it was a real bust when the two week trip we were supposed to be on resulted in him shooting his antelope the first day and he went back home to MN the next morning!!! All in all I guess I'd do it again, but it's lucky that I was supplying the camping gear on that one that went bust so that I was able to stay out there on my own or I would have been in deep dodo!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-22-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Hardest thing to do is find an old fart like me who still can hump up & down the mts...just a lot slower!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    I have done it a few times my self but it was never planned. I've met other hunters in the field and have helped them fill their tags. The way I see it is if I offer to help them I hunt the way they hunt and I have to be prepared for what that could be. They could hunt my tail off or drive the roads. It's not my hunt I'm there to help them. This way I have no expectations either way. As far as planning a hunt and spending multipal days and I have my own tag. Then I would have to say that I would only go with my partners that I have hunted with for years.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've met and hunted with several off forums, mainly the Washington state forum mainly. Found and hunted with great guys actually, guys that share the same passion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Never done it either,but I would assume it would be ok if you are both die hard outdoorsman like most of us,but I also could see it being not so good if one was not to do any communication before hand and they really aren't like you! Any way where about s you at? I'm about an hour east of Fargo, maybe we'll have to do some huntin!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Its probably better to go on a short date (bird hunt, predator hunt, varmint hunt, ect ect) before you waste vacation time or points with someone you know nothing about. I could only imagine losing my license or gear because of some yahoo getting excited and poaching an animal or something along those lines. I have close friends that are good people that I won't go hunting with because of some of their hunting stories. Just because you get along as friends doesn't mean you share the same passion, morals, and ethics when it comes to hunting and being safe.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ando_31 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    I went duck hunting with a guy I met on a forum probably 14 or 15 years ago. The hunt was lousy, and we never got into the birds, and by the end of the morning ended up hitting rocks with boat paddles back at the boat ramp.

The guy was a pretty cool dude, and today, I count him among my closest friends.. Was even in his wedding a few years back.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.