Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I've ran into a few guys off MM when I've been on hunts. In always in shock when someone calls me by name and I'm 1000 miles from home and I don't recognize the person. Since they hunt the same area we do we'll meet up for a steak at the local restaurant before splitting ways.

I have my first scheduled hunt with a guy on a forum this year for woodcock. I expect it to go well or he wouldn't have gotten the invite out to our place.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I posted on Bowsite in 1996 and the first response I got was a guy from Oregon who I have been hunting with ever since. I actually didn't even know what the internet was back then. Just complained to my sister about my local hunting buddies who kept backing out of going out west with me. She told me about it and I searched and found Bowsite, and posted. The only bad thing is he snores so loud we have to pitch our tents 50 yards apart. Don't know if I snore the same.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am always up for a hunt. When I was a non hunter, my friends always tried to get me to come along. I assumed they were die hard hunters from all the stories.....then I bought a hunting bow and got hooked. Turns out they are good at stories.... Lol

I hunt like a mofo and camp like a king! I met a fellow eastmans member here several years back. We emailed a bit, talked on the phone several times, and by the time the season csme around he brought a friend. We had a great time and one of them got an elk to boot! I think we were both nervous not really knowing each other, and yet in the end in my opinion made two great friends and look forward to hunting with them again some day.

I agree with emails, phone calls etc to try and feel them out some before just jumping in. You are probably going to find a better hunt buddy than your local buddy on here!!
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BTW - It's really a good idea for safety purposes if nothing else. Especially if you backpack like I sometimes do. In those scenarios it could be better to go with even a less than perfect buddy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    BTW - It's really a good idea for safety purposes if nothing else. Especially if you backpack like I sometimes do. In those scenarios it could be better to go with even a less than perfect buddy.
    Exact reason I've been hesitant to do some of the hunts in the back country that I would like to do. I may either have to man up and go alone or look at different alternatives to find a hunting partner.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Great stories! I just know a guy off Facebook that is a few years older than me. And he kills 160 class mulies every year it seems, and I commented on it, and he asked me to buy a tag and go along, he's probably on this site actually haha.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    Exact reason I've been hesitant to do some of the hunts in the back country that I would like to do. I may either have to man up and go alone or look at different alternatives to find a hunting partner.
    I hunt alone a lot and I'm 72 years old. I carry a SPOT gps system that I think is great....so does my wife. She used to complain a lot about me hunting alone, but now is ok with it as long as I have the SPOT. You can set up a message and sent it to your email telling them your ok, back at camp or whatever. You can send 2 messages, you just compose them in advance. It also sends out a distress call with your GPS location if you get in trouble. I bought mine from Cabelas on sale for around 125 and it costs 100 a year. Cheap insurance me thinks!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Zim,

I thought Randy pitching his tent 50 yards away was due to the Banjo that was in your jeep........

I met Zim many years ago through the Internet and we have been on many hunts together in many different states and consider him a close friend.
    Last edited by Don K; 12-23-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I hunt alone a lot and I'm 72 years old. I carry a SPOT gps system that I think is great....so does my wife. She used to complain a lot about me hunting alone, but now is ok with it as long as I have the SPOT. You can set up a message and sent it to your email telling them your ok, back at camp or whatever. You can send 2 messages, you just compose them in advance. It also sends out a distress call with your GPS location if you get in trouble. I bought mine from Cabelas on sale for around 125 and it costs 100 a year. Cheap insurance me thinks!
    I know several solo hunters that carry a spot gps. I think it is great & I agee money well spent!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I suppose this could turn out good or bad depending on who it was. Honestly 1/2 of why I hunt is to get some time to myself and get away from the world for a few days so I have never really looked for a hunting partner. I hunted with others mostly before I moved to WA in 2007 but they were people I knew pretty well and I was going with them to places they had hunted before. Since I started hunting on my own and doing my own research I have hunted alot better areas and been more successful. I will admit there are times it would be nice to have someone else along but for the most part I would rather hunt alone even in very remote areas. As a few others have said I do have a SPOT I take with me so I can let everyone know Im still alive or call in a chopper if it comes down to that. I have never had a situation where I really needed it but it would save your life if you ever got hurt bad even if you werent alone.