Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Don't see it being much different from hunting/camping on public land and meeting fellow hunters who are there doing the same thing, usually is very easy/quick to make friends with those sorts of hunters, so I would think 2 hunters coming together with similar goals/interests would work out well in general.

It might be nice to meet and talk hunting prior to a trip, but if say heading to CO and 1 person lives in TN and the other in MN, may not happen.

I wouldn't force a hunt/trip with the wrong person though.

Thanks
    I've been tempted to do this since living in the East I know so few western hunters.

The biggest things for me would be finding someone who likes to hunt hard, has good hunting ethics and is easy to get along with. PMs or emails and at least a phone call or two would be essential. You can also tell something about a guy if he has posted a lot here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshour View Post
    The biggest things for me would be finding someone who likes to hunt hard, has good hunting ethics and is easy to get along with.
    I could add a few more things to that list too! I would be up to finding some hunting partners off a forum. You would think living in the west it would be easy to find guys to hunt with but it hasn't been easy for me! Most guys already have hunting buddies they stick with. I can always find somebody to go but lots of times it's like babysitting. Would also be nice to find someone that has things to offer in there state too. So both of you benefit from it. If anyone's interested in hunting together in Colorado or else where PM me and I'll send you my profile... Lol!

Thanks
    I hunted this year with a non family member for the first time in years. I was the one reaching out to a new area, and he is a friend of my brothers who happened to be a regular to that area. I understood it to be sharing some resources, not a hunting buddy thing. it kinda turned into him showing us around instead of me being on my own which was my intent. We had a great time, but i don't want it to turn into "where are we going this year".

I think my increasing passion to hunt solo is just one more example of my increasing desire to avoid other people as I get older. I am slowly becoming an anti-social people hater.

Thanks
    Not a forum meeting, but back in the mid 90s I couldn't find anyone to do an Alaskan moose float bowhunt with me with an outfitter who is now dead but was a big name in traditional archery. The outfitter knew a guy who wanted to do the trip so he hooked us up. Turned out the my partner was primarily interested in doing a multi-day interview of the outfitter for a traditional bowhunting mag. I hunted around the outfitters camp for several days while the interview went on, which was decent country, but once we got on the river where most of the moose were, it was clear that the best part of the trip was behind us for my partner. We each had a raft and when he would get ahead of me we would invariably float past excellent moose country. He wasn't a bad guy, but he wasn't primarily there to hunt moose, which affected my trip.

Thanks
    I hunt alone quite a bit b/c I have a tough time finding friends that want to go out of state or have the points built up to draw tags. My wife doesn't like it when I hunt 1000 miles away by myself, but i don't mind except it can get a little hairy out there when the weather is bad or I knock something down in no man's land. Sometimes I wish I had a hunting buddy or 2 that knew some good areas that I don't that I could trade out with. I've got a good amount of points in several states. I hunt montana, wyoming, colorado, arizona, nevada and anywhere else I happen to pull a tag. I put in for Utah too but have never pulled a tag in 10 years. I also apply in ID and NM from time to time as well but never draw.

I'd be open to doing a hunt somewhere with someone and seeing how it goes. I have no problem sharing info on the limited entry hunts b/c it's not like I'm hunting in there every year with the difficulty of pulling some of the tags. I just don't want it to turn into a camp full of people where it turns into a drunk fest or too many people to deal with. 1-2 people maximum. I hunt hard, am in good shape, and use quality equipment and have fun wherever I go.

Thanks
    I guess I've never really thought of hunting with someone I've met on a forum. I laughed at the post about going on a few short dates with the person, but it is a valid point. I'm just getting into the western style hunting so I may not have a lot of knowledge, but I put a ton of effort into my hunts. I almost think it would be too risky for me because I don't have a lot of time to hunt in the fall with my job in agriculture. I can't plan too much in advance because the weather controls when I'll finish up, so I usually hunt on fairly short notice. I'm sure not a lot of guys would like that too much. I think if it just happened that we both wanted to hunt together for some reason I'd do it but I'm not going to force the issue by any means. I'm all for helping people fill their tags, but if I have a tag I'm going to want to hunt with someone who hunts very similar to me and works as hard as I do.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    I don't hunt with many people because I find it hard to find people who take hunting as serious as I do. It would be a big leap of faith for me that would be really hard to take... but odds are that here is where I would find a person as committed to this lifestyle as I. Maybe some day.

Thanks
    I have done it twice, both times for pronghorn in Wyoming. The first time was not so good, the second time was much better. Be sure to screen your potential partners carefully. I would suggest getting together for a local hunt or something similar before spending hundreds of $$ on an out of state fiasco.

Bob

Thanks
    I have the same problem here. Hard to find people that want to hunt hard and take it as serious as me, but you also have to have fun I guess, got a few buddy's that like to go to the bar. I don't mind but I sure don't like hunting with a headache, and like to get some shut eye, and they don't!