Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm sure the odds will be staggering. I just hope that this will help the dept. get some more funds. It's kind of a neat idea to raise money. I am curious to know how many tickets they will sell. I would assume it would a large amount. The question is, does a person buy the cheaper ticket or will the more expensive one give him better odds? If a person wins that trifecta, that will be a lot of money to come up with to buy the tags (assuming they would buy mtn goat, moose and sheep, or bison). I would choose one of those three.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mntnguide View Post
    The way i read it it doesnt necessarily sound like you get to "choose" your species if you win. It more sounds like, if you win, they will be telling you what specie you were drawn for....Might just be me, but that is what i grasp from the wording. It sounds like the Trifecta you get to choose, but the other one sounds like they will be giving out 10 licenses, one for each specie, which would mean you dont get to make your own choice. . There is definitely some wording that make it seem both could be true, but i just dont see them allowing you to choose; because how many people will be choosing Sheep if they won...anyone else know more distinct rules about it?
    This is the way I understand it to

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Mountain lion, wolf, and bear are included!!??--A lot of good that does somebody since you can buy it over the counter!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    UH... Your posts are always interesting to me. You really have this stuff down when it comes to getting tags (or trying to). I'm not sure I understand what you mean here though? Could you give a simple example? Thanks.
    The raffle ticket for a chance at a WY elk tag cost him $10. Say the odds of drawing the winning tag are 0.0001% (1 in 10,000). He could likely buy a very good guided elk hunt elsewhere, with tag included for $10,000 or less.

On the other hand, if the odds of drawing are 0.01, he's all in, as there is no where I'm aware of that will give you a good elk hunt for a hundred bucks.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Drelk is wrong. I'm going to win. I saw it in a dream . . .

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I read the news article as its 10 tags (moose, sheep, goat, elk, deer etc) and they draw them specifically for the Reg Raffle and you don't get to choose them. Only w/ the Trifecta do you get to choose. That makes the most logical sense as if they don't do it that way then the possibility exists for Fish and Game to give out an addittional 11 sheep tags (possibily for the same area, say Area 5). That would be a real possibility if we get to choose and that would really hurt us all in the regular draw...that's my take on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    The raffle ticket for a chance at a WY elk tag cost him $10. Say the odds of drawing the winning tag are 0.0001% (1 in 10,000). He could likely buy a very good guided elk hunt elsewhere, with tag included for $10,000 or less.

On the other hand, if the odds of drawing are 0.01, he's all in, as there is no where I'm aware of that will give you a good elk hunt for a hundred bucks.
    Ok, I see. The problem is I don't have $10,000. And if I did I wouldn't spend it on an elk hunt! I do have $10 though, Lol!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    What I didn't see was if I want to buy a ticket for elk and a tickets for deer, can I specify that when I purchase them? Didn't seem really clear to me.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here's a link to better information. http://wyomingnews.com/articles/2013...p_12-24-13.txt

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post

Fink nailed it!

I use "science" not luck when I'm in it to win it. One of the best courses I took in college was statistics, where you learn the math behind the odds. I do buy certain raffle tags where the cost compared to the odds makes sense.

On the other hand, as some of you mentioned, if I see it more as a "donation" where it benefits wildlife, I'll throw my name in the hat even if it doesn't make sense. One of those for me is for the Montana sheep raffle tag.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)