Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    130 Barnes ttsx great bullet! You need something that will retain its weight for penetration. This bullet does a great job.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    140 gr Accubonds or 150 gr Partitions will git er done
    Find something that your gun shoots well and stick with em. Some guys swear by the 130 gr Barnes but I like to use the biggest hammer I can hit em with.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    I used the 140gr accubond with good results this past year. I've taken one bull and a couple muleys with this bullet in 270, plus numerous other animals with the 140gr accubond in 6.5 and 7mm. It has always done as advertised, good penetration with 60-70% weight retention. I like that it opens fast to start a large wound channel quickly. I've also looked at the 150gr accubond long range, have a box on the shelf but haven't experimented with them yet. The 150gr Partition is a tried and true option also. I'd prepare to shoot 400yds prone over your pack practicing for that hunt. My shots on elk have tended to be longer than on other game. Who are you booked with up there?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I took a bull this year with the 140 grain Accubond in 270 WSM. Did a good job. All of the bullets designed for elk sized game will do a good job, but not all will shoot well out of your gun. Try different ones until you get the accuracy to shoot 400 yards.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I started hunting elk in the late 60's with a 270 in a left handed savage110. Then my favorite bullet was the hornady 150. I shot a cow that went maybe ten teps. Many years later after using the 300 Weatherby, the 25-06 and a 243, I went back to the 270 and used the then new hornady sst 150 with the same results. I switched to Combined tech. bullets a couple of years ago after using the 87 gr. bullet in a 257 Roberts with great success on mule deer. Last year I shot a cow with the Ct bullet and had a one shot kill, and not much dammage. If the 150gr. bullet shoots well in your 270 that's the one that gets my vote.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    250 gr 338 TSX...

Sorry couldn't help myself.

Any of the choices are good, hit 'em in the boiler room you'll be in good eats.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have had great luck with the 150 gr. Partition. Placement is key but a great bullet is also important. Good luck on your hunt!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Airborne1, if I may ask, how far are you confident in taking a shot on an elk. I cant disagree with a single recommendation by any of these gentlemen but there are different bullet designs for different applications; muzzle velocity, distance you are willing to shoot, size of animal, and of course several other things all play a factor into choosing the proper bullet. Any of the mentioned bullets will kill but some will be much more effective than others. I apologize if I missed the target and over thought your question but if you know your limitations or confidence distance that would help better answer the question. If I were to be general and assume a few things I would be comfortable with either the Nosler Accubond or the Barnes TTSX but again any of them will kill. Good luck on your hunt! You said 2015, do you have a hunt planned for this year?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne1 View Post
    Just booked a guided rifle elk hunt in Wyoming hunt area 41 for 2015. I will be using my Savage 270 and need advice on what bullet to use for my trip?
    All bullets mentioned are great choices. I think it depends on what bullet makes you happy and shoots best in your rifle. For instance if I wanted to shoot a barnes bullet but an accu bond grouped a lot better i would shoot the accu bond because I feel confident that bullet would perform great. My personal choice is the Barnes TTSX.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like 140 ABs out of my 270 WSM. I'd try a 130, 140 AB or a 150 partition out of a 270 without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paradox Packs
    Ultralight Hunting Backpacks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i have yet handled a .270 that didnt shoot the 130g more acurate than other loads. rem core lock really cant be beat, just cant.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ivorytip For This Useful Post: