Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Block Management Program good or bad?

This question is for Montana residents only please. What are your thoughts on Block Management hunting areas? My own thoughts are that the govt. should not take our wildlife funds and use them in this way. It has been my observations that Block land is usually overhunted, especially the units that only require signing in at a box. I have seen these areas get hit every day for weeks straight. It also seems like a lot of these areas are mainly used by non-residents. I do not believe the gov't. should run an entitlement program for hunting , which is what the BMP really is. Wouldn't these tax monies be better spent paying landowners to enhance their land for wildlife? The last few years our state has seen a significant decline in deer numbers in a lot of areas, yet the fwp keeps selling "b" tags like there is no tomorrow, only now figuring out what most people in the state have been screaming for the last couple of years, "stop selling doe tags!" Should my tax money really go to helping some guy from out of state have a place to hunt? I say no. There is federal and state lands for this, along with ranchers and farmers who allow access without being in the BMP . From what I have seen a lot of these out of staters have no regard for the animals they are pursuing nor the land they pursue these animals on. When you see a chunk of Block get hunted every hour of legal hunting time for a month straight, it is really disheartening. Please contact your State of Montana Reps in Helena and tell them we need to make changes to the BMP, thanks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have to disagree 100%, I have had nothing but great experiences with the program. I killed my first bull on block management and my wife did also. Yes there are some that get over hunted but that is the same with every thing. If it is easily accessible then it will be over hunted. I am grateful every time I go out and make a point to thank the owners when ever I get the chance.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Block Management gets a huge thumbs up for me as well.

What a great great program. I hope my kids get to enjoy it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I dont really love it but I do support it. With all respect help me understand the entitlement part?

As far as the out of state hunters... I am surely grateful for them. They carry a great economic impact, in many areas. Not to mention I like to hunt out of state and I would only hope to be treated the same.

As far as the BMA's hunted on a daily basis... I agree. And thats why I try to stay away but what I like about it is that it disburses the numbers. I figure everybody has to hunt somewhere. More area to hunt, in theory, less chance of running into someone.

Thanks
    Congratulations

It uses Govt. funds

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    I dont really love it but I do support it. With all respect help me understand the entitlement part?

As far as the out of state hunters... I am surely grateful for them. They carry a great economic impact, in many areas. Not to mention I like to hunt out of state and I would only hope to be treated the same.

As far as the BMA's hunted on a daily basis... I agree. And thats why I try to stay away but what I like about it is that it disburses the numbers. I figure everybody has to hunt somewhere. More area to hunt, in theory, less chance of running into someone.
    If you use public funds it is an entitlement. Just like food stamps, medicare, Medicaid. You can argue that it comes from hunters and spent on hunters, but there are still hunters who are paying into the program who, like me do not receive benefits from it. I would also argue that the amount of areas that are not overhunted, way out number those with few hunters.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think using hunting license money for hunting access is a better use of public funds than most.

I am having trouble figuring out why you want to close access to hunters. If anything I hope more landowners enter the program.

I think out of state hunters should be able to comment on this thread as well. They pay license fees too, and pay dearly. There are also many responsible and respectful nonresident hunters out there that make good use of the program.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I have hunted one block management area in eastern MT 2 times. I had a great time both times and never saw another hunter either time. I harvested a nice old buck on one of those trips. As far as I know the funding for it comes from hunting license and tag sales which non residents pay dearly for these days so Im not understanding why you dont like non residents using the program or how it is comparable to food stamps. I agree over hunting any area is never a good thing but I believe the land owner can put restrictions on it if they want to. Some land owners dont want alot of wildlife on their property because it takes feed away from their cattle and I think they see the block management program as a way of managing wildlife on their land.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Another thumbs up for the block management program. Nonresidents are at an enormous disadvantage in hunting areas in Montana that aren't national forest. We don't know relatives or school buddies or coworkers or church members to give us permission to hunt like longtime residents do and we aren't there to do the knocking on doors, nor do we have the ability to scout until we get there.

As far as getting a direct benefit from the money paid in, nonresidents pay the lion's share of hunter money going to the Fish and Game. We pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars per tag while residents pay only double digits for most tags. So, we pay far more than residents and don't get to enjoy anywhere close to the time afield that a resident can. I think block units are a help to offset the huge disadvantage.
    Last edited by hoshour; 12-24-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    I've had one experience with Block Management. In 2006, we drew 5 non-resident deer tags for my wife and three of my sons. We got a copy of the Block Management participants and called around. Found one ranch that only allowed one party at a time and scheduled dates with them. There was no place to stay within 50 miles of the ranch, so the rancher offered to rent the one of the ranch houses for several days. The rancher came down every day to see how we were doing and offer suggestions. We took four bucks on the hunt and the one son who didn't get his buck had multiple opportunities. The rancher had told us to bring our shotguns. We hunted pheasants on his ranch where they literally ran around like chickens. One of the most fun hunts I've ever been on. We spent about 5 days with exclusive access to a 10,000 ranch for the cost of a house rental. It was an unreal opportunity for the kids. We would have never gone for the tags had it not been for the Block Management program and access to private lands.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 12-24-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH - what an awesome story.
    I've hunted the BMs a couple times in eastern MT but havent killed anything on them. I know other guys who have and am appreciative for the opportunity they provide for us to hunt. I'm sure I'll connect one of these days.
    I utilize the HMAs in Wyoming and have had a lot of success in those. My friends and I are all thankful for the landowners that open up access.
    I feel that non-resident hunters bring in a lot of money that helps subsidize residents cheap tags so we should have an opinion. Outfitters on the other hand...