Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G5 T3 for Elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 1 Post

G5 T3 for Elk

I know its a long time away, but I am planning on bowhunting elk this fall in Colorado and thought I would open the can of worms about expandables on elk (particularly the G5 T3). I have not ever bow hunted for elk and therefore do not have any experience with broadhead types on an animal of this size. My experience with expandables has been favorable on smaller animals such as whitetail, but I know elk will be a whole different can of worms. I would love to hear any actual experiences with the T3 on elk. My choice at this point will either be a T3 or a Montec for a broadhead.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    While I haven't shot an elk with either head, I've shot whitetails with both. Blood loss with the T3 was massive in all instances for me, and the arrow flies quiet and true clear out to 60 yards, grouping right with my field points. Durability would be a concern of mine, on an animal as big as an elk.

The Montec is a fine head, and is very strong. I can shoot tight groups out to 40 yards or so, but then the groups tend to open up more for me.. I never seem to be able to get the Montec SUPER sharp, and to me, that's important. The Montec also is much louder flying through the air than the T3 is. Blood trails haven't been quite as good for me with the Montec as with the T3, but that could be circumstantial.. I've not lost animals with either head.

Bottom line, if you poke one in through the lungs with either head, they gonna die.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would recommend the G5 Montec in 100 grains for elk. On an animal as large as an elk you don't want anything to go wrong on that shot of a lifetime. With an expandable there is more that can go wrong. my 2c worth.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have killed 3 elk with the T3. I have never had a problem with durability and each time the blood trail was huge and the elk didn't go far. I have also been on several other hunts where friends shot their elk with the T3 also. With the Montec I have seen the broadhead snap where the ferrel screws into the inserts on two different occasions, and know of two other friends that had this happen also on elk. One of those was just last year, he shot a bull and called several guys up to come and help him pack it out. When he took up the trail they found his arrow with the screw threads in the arrow and no broadhead attached, never found the elk. I would never use the Montec for elk, just my experience with each.
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jjenness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with jjenness. Stay away from the Montecs. I haven't been able to get them shaving sharp. My brother shot an elk with one and it took almost an hour for him to tip over.
    It was a single lung and liver and not much blood. Luckily he didn't go far. My brother watched him from a tree stand.
    We have shot hogs and the blood trail has not been good on them either.
    I've been shooting WAC'M 4 blades and they do a great job. Cut on contact replaceable fixed blade broadhead. Stay away from expandable's on elk. They are not legal in some states.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I wont shoot anything but a montec. This guy tried to jump the string and it didn't fair too well for him. The blade still shaves hair off my arm. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391234163.187832.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	11.9 KB 
ID:	7698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391234198.452860.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	7699Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391234231.360886.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	7700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391234295.130340.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	7701
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Here is some more talk about the issue I pointed out. If you google search it you will also see a lot more. IMO I don't think you are ever going to find a 100% answer as people are always going to have their own opinion. When the T3 came out it was the first time I considered using a mechanical on elk, after talking to several other people and doing some home testing I decided to give it a try. The biggest thing I love about them is that even if something goes wrong and the head "malfunctions" you will still have a cutting surface that passes through the target. Pair that together with how well they fly and how unbelievably durable they are and I think you have a winning combo. I am sure there are many people out there who are perfectly happy with the Montec, but with there being a potential for the fixed blade to malfunction by snapping the ferrul is something that needs to be considered IMO.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforum...373943&forum=2

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1938573
    JJenness
    G
    &T Crazy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    I haven't had experience shooting elk with either. I took G5 Strykers on my elk hunt this year and didn't get a chance to try them out. This was on a recommendation from a friend of mine that has taken several elk with this broadhead. They did fly true and I like that. I switched to T3's when I went whitetail hunting and they are devastating. I also used T3's for my Muley hunt. And my T3 did malfunction and did not open. However, a double lung shot with those cutters still resulted in a downed Muley and a short tracking job. I will stick with my G5's and probably use the same combo if I get the chance to hunt both again this year.

Thanks
    Congratulations

G5 T3 for Elk

Grim Reaper's get it done!! Just can't use them in Idaho...I've had to go back to fixed blades and the G5's group tight at 50-60 yards for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    IMO...Don't get focused on 1 or 2 broadheads. Shoots as many as you can and find what what works for your setup and what you are comfortable with. I use the 100gr RamCat and my broher uses a 100gr Rage. The fixed blade and mechanical debate will go on and on. What ever you chose...practice, practice and practice.....just have confidence in your gear!