Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G5 T3 for Elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally, I like to stay away from expandables for elk. 90% of the time they're going to do the job. I truly believe fixed blade heads will get the job done on a marginal shot when a expandable will let you down. (a should shot) I've seen it first hand. I would try a few different heads and see what flies good. G5 striker, magnus stinger, and my favorite..vipertricks from slick tricks. Cut on contact for me when it comes to elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with staying away from expandables on elk. I shoot the grim reaper 3 blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Might as well ask which is better Ford, Chevy, or Dodge…..

I would stay away from expandables for elk but I have taken one with an expandable.
    I have had great success on deer but on the elk, the expandable just didn't get the penetration, and the head was all sorts of twisted up when I fished it out.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree this question won't ever get a consistent answer. My personal experience is that Montecs fly great, but for some reason I have had trouble with longer recoverys with those heads. I have taken two different animals (cow elk, mule deer buck) with Montecs that both took 2+ minutes to lay down after what turned out to be double lung shots, and both were pass throughs. I am not good about resharpening broadheads, and I am sure that made a difference. I have had good luck with slick tricks, and Rage. I have not had any penetration issues with mechanicals, but I would think that some shots (hard quartering) probably would penetrate less with an expandable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used fixed blade broad heads on many deer and one 5x5 bull elk. Since then I have used Rage mechanical broad heads 3 blade 100grain. Have taken three elk and one muley buck with these... won't use anything else. They fly true and all these animals bled out fast... All in Arizona