Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: G5 T3 for Elk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Personally, I like to stay away from expandables for elk. 90% of the time they're going to do the job. I truly believe fixed blade heads will get the job done on a marginal shot when a expandable will let you down. (a should shot) I've seen it first hand. I would try a few different heads and see what flies good. G5 striker, magnus stinger, and my favorite..vipertricks from slick tricks. Cut on contact for me when it comes to elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with staying away from expandables on elk. I shoot the grim reaper 3 blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Might as well ask which is better Ford, Chevy, or Dodge…..

I would stay away from expandables for elk but I have taken one with an expandable.
    I have had great success on deer but on the elk, the expandable just didn't get the penetration, and the head was all sorts of twisted up when I fished it out.
    Life member RMEF
    Mathews DXT, Bowtech Admiral, Browing .300WSM...... and Swarovski Optiks my wife doesn't know about.
    1999 Washington Blacktaill, Bear River GMU, nontypical 6X7

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree this question won't ever get a consistent answer. My personal experience is that Montecs fly great, but for some reason I have had trouble with longer recoverys with those heads. I have taken two different animals (cow elk, mule deer buck) with Montecs that both took 2+ minutes to lay down after what turned out to be double lung shots, and both were pass throughs. I am not good about resharpening broadheads, and I am sure that made a difference. I have had good luck with slick tricks, and Rage. I have not had any penetration issues with mechanicals, but I would think that some shots (hard quartering) probably would penetrate less with an expandable.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used fixed blade broad heads on many deer and one 5x5 bull elk. Since then I have used Rage mechanical broad heads 3 blade 100grain. Have taken three elk and one muley buck with these... won't use anything else. They fly true and all these animals bled out fast... All in Arizona

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shot a whitetail doe with a T3, blew right through then slammed into a feeder post ( was hunting in Texas). The broad head was completely fine but the BH Was rammed 3 inches into the arrow shaft. I think you'll be fine with a T3, I'll be using them this year on elk as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk