Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 1 Post

Wyoming Deer Antler Point Restriction- question

Hello Everyone-

I'm reading through the Wyoming deer regulations and was wondering if brow tines / eye guards were included in the total point count. I see quite a few units with 3 pt restrictions and area 131 has a 4pt restriction

Can't seem to find clarification in the regs

Thanks in advance.......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Good question....I've been a mule deer hunter for 60 years and I've never counted them.

After looking at last years regs and not finding it, I went to the website and brow tines (or eye guards as I call them) do count .
    Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 12-24-2013 at 12:02 PM.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    (a) “Antlered” means a deer, elk, or moose that has visible antler growth plainly protruding from the skull. Where a minimum number of antler points are specified, points shall be counted on the side with the greater number of points.

(x) “Point” means any protrusion from an antler one (1) inch or more in length.

Best I could come up with.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WapitiBob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I know here in Washington eye guards do not count as a point in areas with point restrictions. I never really thought about it much untill I hunted whitetails this year since mule deer rarely have eye guards untill they are older.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I know here in Washington eye guards do not count as a point in areas with point restrictions. I never really thought about it much untill I hunted whitetails this year since mule deer rarely have eye guards untill they are older.

It seems like some areas have deer with no eye guards as a rule and in other areas they are common. The area we hunt in SE Montana seems to have them more often than not- but I've watched TV shows that were filmed in different areas of the country where they almost never seem to have them. Not sure if it is a function of age, genetics or a combination of both....interesting topic.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    (a) “Antlered” means a deer, elk, or moose that has visible antler growth plainly protruding from the skull. Where a minimum number of antler points are specified, points shall be counted on the side with the greater number of points.

(x) “Point” means any protrusion from an antler one (1) inch or more in length.

Best I could come up with.

Thanks WapitiBob- I couldn't find the information.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im not sure I understand this either now. Washingtons definition for 3 point minimium is "must have atleast 3 antler points on one side. A 3x3, 3x2, or 3x1 are legal in a 3 point min unit. Antler points must be atleast 1 inch long measured from the longest side, including eye guards" That makes it sound like eye guards count, yet none of their reference drawings show eye guards, which is what lead me to believe eye guards didnt count.

WY says " “Antlered” means a deer, elk, or moose that has visible antler growth plainly protruding
    from the skull. Where a minimum number of antler points are specified, points shall be
    counted on the side with the greater number of points." I cant find anything about eye guards in the WY regs.

This is a very good question. I have always thought eye guards didnt count.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Im not sure I understand this either now. Washingtons definition for 3 point minimium is "must have atleast 3 antler points on one side. A 3x3, 3x2, or 3x1 are legal in a 3 point min unit. Antler points must be atleast 1 inch long measured from the longest side, including eye guards" That makes it sound like eye guards count, yet none of their reference drawings show eye guards, which is what lead me to believe eye guards didnt count.

WY says " “Antlered” means a deer, elk, or moose that has visible antler growth plainly protruding
    from the skull. Where a minimum number of antler points are specified, points shall be
    counted on the side with the greater number of points." I cant find anything about eye guards in the WY regs.

This is a very good question. I have always thought eye guards didnt count.
    ***Sorry, but it sounds pretty simple to me for WA if it says "including eye guards". Wyoming has always counted the eye guards as a point in the antler restricted area if they are 1" or more and the section WB posted nails it! Therefore, both states are identical in their method.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 12-24-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes eye guards do count in Washington, although in my opinion they should not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thats what I get for just looking at the pictures lol. Would think they would include the eye guard in the pics since they are supposed to help clarify the description but I think they are what caused the confusion.