Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sleeping bags

Thanks

sleeping bags

I'm looking at buying a sleeping bag that is rated for 0 deg for alaska next year, but also want it to be somewhat light weight for back county hunting also. I'm looking at the kelty ignite dridown 0 deg the long version is 6'6" and carry weight is 3 lbs 10 oz. Does anyone have any experience with this bag or some other types of a quality bags, thanks for any help

Thanks
    I use a Mountain Hardware UltraLamina 0. I think it weighs about 3 lbs 7 oz. and it has worked very well. I have had it out on several week-long plus hunts. I carry it around in my airplane every time I fly.

I would think the Kelty is a good one too.

When and what are you hunting?

Thanks
    I will be hunting out of kostebue with ram aviation sept 14 for 7 days. We will be hunting caribou. They will be flying us in and dropping us for 7 days on a DIY caribou. Can't wait just want to make sure I have the right stuff.

Thanks
    Great, the caribou up that way are doing good. I hope you have a great hunt. I'll be going to Kotzebue next month for a week but won't be hunting.
    If I can be of any assistance to you send me a p.m. I'm always glad to help out.

One note though...the F.A.A. has told air transporters up here that they cannot transport those little fuel cans for camp stoves on the same flight as they transport people. It's listed as Hazmat. You might want to contact Ram Aviation to see what they can do for you, if you were planning on using that fuel source.

Thanks
    Retter,

I would steer you toward a synthetic bag if your hunting in Alaska. The Kifaru Slick bag that is zero degrees and for lengths up to 6'7" is going to weigh 2lbs 15oz and will run you about $410. They are going to be updating their slick bags later this spring with a center zip option and improved hood.

I have a Montbell ultralight spiral that is a fantastic down bag, but I'd shy away from down in Alaska.

Thanks
    Ram aviation will be providing tent food stove water and some other things. I guess I'm not sure if they have taken the propane canisters before I guess I will have to ask. I will be hunting with rifle do u think it is necessary to carry a pistol? Also I was checking regulation on taking meat out and ak game and fish read that the dates that I will be up there they say I have to cut ribs apart and pack them out I can't just debone rib meat. I want to do it right cause the fines for not taking out the meat correct is unreal.

Thanks
    DryFlyGuy have u heard of the dri down or maybe it hasn't been around long. I really didn't want to spend around 410$ but will, The Kelly dri down was $279 now for $200 that's what caught my eye and then did some research on the dri down and seems to be way better than down but haven't had much experience with either and don't really want to regret getting the wrong sleeping bag when I'm already in AK. Is there much different between the synthetic 0 deg vs the down 0 deg for warmth? Thanks for any help

Thanks
    If they are providing the camp, I'm sure they will have the fuel there, so no problem.

I agree, it's best to follow the regulations closely. You will most likely be checked either in the field or when you get back to Kotzebue.

Thanks
    Retter,

I have heard of the dri down. While it is an improvement over untreated down, it will get wet, lose its loft, and take a long time to regain its loft. If you are going to be in freezing temperatures, than dri down will be fine. If you are going to be in wet temperatures, dri down is better than down, but not as good as synthetic.

I haven't compared the two myself (synthetic vs dri down), but I'd encourage you to research it.

To your warmth question, shouldn't be any difference. While the temperature ratings are the same, it is the other properties of the material that vary greatly (weight, compressibility, and moisture response to name a few).

Thanks
    Alaska...I would really go synthetic given the weather. It's heavier, but always keeps you warm when you need it.

If you go with down because you want the light weight, then definitely hold out for the newer dri down with a nano technology coating the helps make it water resistant. It's pretty new, but showing up more and more. I expect most down to head in this direction in a year or so. For the same price why not have it.