Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    I believe limited entry hunt applications have similar dynamics to the stock market. Jumping in now is like jumping in when the market is near the peak. I strongly suspect we are nearing a peak and waiting for the crash, when draw systems are changed and points are devalued. I personally am very leery and developing an aggressive plan to burn points. I would not jump in thinking things are going to be the same 10-15 years from now.
    I think you hit the nail on the head UH. I've been in the points game a dozen years (since moving to UT) and have 11 points for elk and 12 points for Rockies here in UT. My wife has the same as well. I also have 7 pts for elk and deer in WY (one less than max...dam*it!), I think 4 pts for elk/deer in CO, three points for Rockies and two points for Mtn. Goats in MT. I know for a fact that once I draw my sheep hunt in UT, I won't even bother building points in expectation of actually drawing another once-in-a-lifetime hunt in UT...the odds are simply horrible. As a resident though, it only costs me $10 per year, so I'm willing to do it.

I'm not so sure on the out-of-state hunts...they are expensive, point creep is killing odds, and the real possibility of the system changing (whether good or bad no one knows) has me itching to simply burn my existing points and get out of the points game altogether. I think money invested regularly for a future "dream" hunt is probably the smarter way to go. At least that direction, if you can save up the money, you are guaranteed a tag!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
    I think you hit the nail on the head UH. I've been in the points game a dozen years (since moving to UT) and have 11 points for elk and 12 points for Rockies here in UT. My wife has the same as well. I also have 7 pts for elk and deer in WY (one less than max...dam*it!), I think 4 pts for elk/deer in CO, three points for Rockies and two points for Mtn. Goats in MT. I know for a fact that once I draw my sheep hunt in UT, I won't even bother building points in expectation of actually drawing another once-in-a-lifetime hunt in UT...the odds are simply horrible. As a resident though, it only costs me $10 per year, so I'm willing to do it.

I'm not so sure on the out-of-state hunts...they are expensive, point creep is killing odds, and the real possibility of the system changing (whether good or bad no one knows) has me itching to simply burn my existing points and get out of the points game altogether. I think money invested regularly for a future "dream" hunt is probably the smarter way to go. At least that direction, if you can save up the money, you are guaranteed a tag!
    Are you planning DIY or guided for elk in Wyoming?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilltop View Post
    As a non-resident we can get an antelope, deer and elk tag every year. There are numerous areas that are 100% draw for antelope. I know of at least one region where it is at or close to 100% draw for deer, and if you do a special elk you can get a general every year. As a non-resident you can apply for a blue chip area for all species and a 2nd choice for the guaranteed tags I mention every year just like a resident. Your dog has plenty of fight, you just have to ante up the cash...
    I was referring to the resident preference point system. I don't have a dog in that fight. Sorry if I stepped on some toes....I was just giving my personal opinion. You know what they say: opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has got one!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It will be a DIY hunt...not this fall, but probably 2015 or 2016 at the latest. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. I have several units that my eyes are on. PM me if you'd like to discuss.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It will be a DIY hunt...not this fall, but probably 2015 or 2016 at the latest. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. I have several units that my eyes are on. PM me if you'd rather.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    This thread just makes me want to cry. I have 7 point for Moose and Sheep. I'll be out a fortune if they ever discontinue the preference point deal.
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MWScott72 View Post
    It will be a DIY hunt...not this fall, but probably 2015 or 2016 at the latest. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. I have several units that my eyes are on. PM me if you'd rather.
    I sent you a PM

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    This thread just makes me want to cry. I have 7 point for Moose and Sheep. I'll be out a fortune if they ever discontinue the preference point deal.
    You are wasting your money if you are just buying points, ESPECIALLY if they don't change the system. There is a massive backlog of applicants ahead of you Woodtick.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    You are wasting your money if you are just buying points, ESPECIALLY if they don't change the system. There is a massive backlog of applicants ahead of you Woodtick.

Yeah I know!! It's hard to fork over the application money on a grad student budget, I figured it was almost 3 months of my salary My wife won't share that kind of money with me!!!
    I'm done after this fall so hopefully I can start cuttin checks to at the very least a random tag
    #KEYSTONE

TICK
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    Yeah I know!! It's hard to fork over the application money on a grad student budget, I figured it was almost 3 months of my salary My wife won't share that kind of money with me!!!
    I'm done after this fall so hopefully I can start cuttin checks to at the very least a random tag
    Those cow moose are tasty..... don't let those points and the potential experience go down the drain. Save aluminum cans or something to come up with the tag money. There are also a few ewe tags available for a reasonable price. The experience is why I hunt. Yes I love the trophy but its the being there doing that aspect that keeps me coming back. The mount on the wall is secondary...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post: