Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wyoming sheep and moose.. Is it possible?

So, I'm sitting here, trying to avoid doing any real work, and was looking at possibly considering starting to build points in Wyoming for a future moose or sheep hunt. At 31 years old, and with 0 points, it would most likely be impossible to draw a high demand unit in my lifetime, but is it possible to draw a good 'green chip' unit by the time I'm 50? 55?

Currently, the top non resident point holders have 19 points for both moose and sheep. By my math, 15 years will have cleared out point holders 13-19 for sheep (60 tags per year, plus some attrition), and 12-19 for moose. It also looks like for the first 5-6 years of point building, roughly 500-600 people drop out.. Which would mean by the time I had 15 points, the top point holder would have about 27, and there would be roughly 7500 moose point holders in front of me, and about 6500 sheep applicants in front.

I'm pretty sure I just answered my question, knowing how many apps would still be in front of me.... But, I'm curious to hear the thoughts of some of you guys that have been in the points game for many years (looking at you, Umpqua, the statistical genius and preference point expert).. I don't want to just "apply, apply, apply" if there is really no chance to ever draw.. But, if I had a legitimate chance to draw the tag in 15-20 years, I'd consider it.

Is it possible? Is it worth it?
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm in the same place as you, only about 5 years older (meaning I'll be too old to hunt 5 years sooner than you ). I've been looking over the numbers, and there is simply no way to make it look pretty. The thing that bothers me most is the tidal wave of point holders in the 10-12 point range. When those point classes start drawing, it's going to drive some crazy point creep. It's all an unknown, but some unknowns look worse than others.

15 years I can manage. 20 years would still be worth it. 30+ years? Crazy. If nothing else, something will change in the draw system, and who knows what all those points will be worth?

On the other hand, you can't win if you don't play the game.

QQ

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Just save your money and plan on going to Canada for moose and sheep. You can shoot a moose alot cheaper in eastern Canada and they are bigger than the shiras. Hell, its cheaper to go over to asia and kill a marco polo than it is a big horn.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You'll want to read the next EBJ in which Guy addresses this issue.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd save my money and head north for a sure thing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Fink, you have a good grasp on the situation.

I've dropped my wife and three sons out of the sheep and moose point chase in Wyoming since they were too far behind.

I drew a Wyoming moose tag in 1999. I put in with my dad for a unit we could draw and he and my mom passed away that summer. Took a long break with the family in Wyoming and got a nice moose on a 45 minute hunt. I now have 9 points for moose again and am thinking of throwing in the towel but still sorting that out. I am almost 50 and am trying to determine if I'll catch a tag before I'm 70. I've drawn three Shiras moose tags though so that kinda affects my decision.

I think in the next 10-15 years states are gonna have to address a very top heavy point system, particularly on once in a lifetime tags like sheep and moose. It has happened before that states just decide to discontinue their point systems, so enter at your own risk

On a positive note, wolves are now being hunted which should help the moose population rebound, and with that will come more hunting opportunities. The units around Yellowstone have very low tag numbers compared to the wolf reintroduction.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 12-27-2013 at 02:11 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd go somewhere it was a for sure deal!
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH hit it on the head, the wolf population is on the decline and if the moose population rebounds to just year 2000-2001 levels there will be double the harvest and double the tags…once that happens again we'll go through higher point groups pretty quickly and those mid-tier guys will be sitting pretty good…a gamble yes, but only a $75 a year gamble at that…come on boys?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You'll probably draw if you live long enough. I'd think about a couple things before I bailed if I was 31. First, let's say yer making $40k a year or whatever. And applying for points at this time might look like a waste of money given yer current income level. If yer in a profession where you might be making double or triple what yer making now in 15 - 25 years, the cost of those points might look like nickles and dimes. Also, there's a chance you'll see legislation change at some point. The G&F threw out the idea a few years ago about making 50% of the sheep and moose tags random draw. It never went anywhere, but who knows what will come along in 10 - 15 years. If so, you might be kicking yerself for not staying in the game. I apply for Colorado moose every year and have 11 points or so. My odds of drawing are something like a 1/2% and don't seem to improve much thanks to point creep. Will I ever draw, probably not. Is the cost to apply too expensive, for some maybe. When I was yer age I'd have said forget it. Now, its all relative...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    So Umpqua, are you talking about abandoning Wyoming to focus on bonus-point and/or random draw states instead?

QQ