Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by velvetfvr View Post
    Crossbow
    Real men kill them with an AX

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Watched an old video of a govt. hunter back in the 50's. He'd capture lions alive with a rope! That's a real man. I've bad a few come around my cat sets too, not comfortable turning dogs loose in those situations, we have some snow coming in before the weekend. Hopefully we get some lion hunting going on, I've been out every weekend trying to even see a track with no luck. Cut a few bobcat tracks but older, with this snow comes new hope. Picked up a new dog this last weekend, tried her out with the breeder. Very impressed, strikes bobcat from the rig, could be very fun!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good Luck!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I can't seem to catch a break! I've been hunting my tail off and now we have snow. Spent all weekend in the mountains and managed to find 2 bobcat tracks, not a single lion track. I know my dogs can catch a lion I just can't seem to be in the right place at the right time. Tried running one of the bobcats after I couldn't find a lion track and trailed it for quite a while until we just couldn't warm it up and pulled off heading into lower country with not a lot of snow. I'm having fun but getting a little frustrated, buddies are giving me grief. Say I should claim I'm out hunting bears cause I saw more lion tracks then than I have this winter, haha. Going out every chance I get and plan on taking sometime middle of next week, have more snow in the forecast so here's hoping!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonGNV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hang in there! Not sure if lions are like bobcat, but around here usually about half way through season you can't find a track anywhere. Almost seems like they hibernate!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Haven't updated you guys recently cause its still the same story, little to no snow and can't find the cats. Hadn't seen a cat track all February and what do you know, day after bobcat seasons over I cut 2 fresh sets, figures! I have been out every weekend and some weekdays when I can and been tying some new country. One thing I have noticed in all these spots is the deer are free to roam and haven't been pushed down at all. One spot always has hundreds of deer migrate in every winter and the last 2 weeks I've seen 12 deer total. I've been getting out of the truck a lot and putting miles on the boots trying to get into those catty looking spots. Hitting it harder this weekend and have a monster hike planned through some rough cliffy country, hoping to cut that big tom track far away from any roads. The dogs are going crazy wanting to catch something and I am too.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonGNV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It definitely hasn't been a normal Northern NV winter this year, makes sense that it would mess things up. Best of luck this weekend, hope to hear a good success story from you next week!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well it didn't end up like I hoped. We did find a track and had a damn good race but never got a lion up. Did about 6 miles cutting some country in half and of course the dogs finally hit a track about 500yds from my pick up point and got straight up and over. Dogs lost the trail a couple different times in the sunny dry spots but would move it fast in the shaded north sided areas. This all started about 2:00pm so it was warm and any frost was gone. Pretty sure this lion moved through early the night before, any areas that had be damp and frozen showed no sign at all and the only spot I could confirm lion was a rim with soft dry sand with a big cat track in it. Helped the dogs work and line it out a couple times over a couple ridges and had high hopes. Not a speck of snow on the ground and when we finally topped out it was a bone dry rocky area and we just couldn't line it out again. Good to finally get the dogs on a race and get some damn good exercise. Definitely going back into this area again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JasonGNV For This Useful Post: