Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightweight Tripod

What is the best tripod for use with a spotter like the 65 swaro's ?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I know that a lot of folks use the Manfrotto's (giant, heavy monstrosities IMO) and you can get a Gitzo that works pretty darned nice but I really like the SMALL Outdoorsmans tripod with a pistol grip... For backpacking purposes, I have cut down the center post to remove un-needed weight. I have packed that thing for miles and miles in the back country and it is hands down THE POOP!

I used it on my last back country hunt... You can see the story here: http://graylightproductions.com/foru...php?f=18&t=714

There's also a picture of it here if you scroll down... http://graylightproductions.com/foru...php?f=17&t=913

It works great and I would put it up against any other brand on the market! Again... Just my humble opinion

I am really pumped that the Eastmans have started this forum... It's the only other forum I really care to share on... Serious topics with serious hunters... It's great and I hope this info helps you...
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Marlon, good to have you here. So what is the total weight of your tripod and head?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tripod with the pistol grip and trimmed center post is about 1.7 lbs pack weight...
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Heres what I plan on carrying this year.

SLIK PRO 624CF 1.81 lbs supports 7 lbs, adjusts up to 47" and packs down to 16.3" and is sub $250. I'm still undecided but the outdoorsman pan head or pistol grip/w panning attachment will be in the bag too.

Nick

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by brudno View Post
    Heres what I plan on carrying this year.

SLIK PRO 624CF 1.81 lbs supports 7 lbs, adjusts up to 47" and packs down to 16.3" and is sub $250. I'm still undecided but the outdoorsman pan head or pistol grip/w panning attachment will be in the bag too.

I looked at 100's of tripods before deciding to carry these ones this winter. The 624 and 634 are both awesome tripods, really light and stable. If you want to drop some weight the lower section of the center post can be removed as well.

I am using the Slik 634 right now for video and it's awesome. Here's a video I did on them and the Promaster T525p.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srKi4GeQ5Rc

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Graylight,

The Outdoorsman's tripod and pan head has been put on the want list. Not sure if the small will be tall enough for me. Do you find yourself wishing you had a little more height or never really an issue? I sold my Monf. and tripod I got at Cabela's (don't recall the brand). I found myself leaving the spotting scope set-up behind due to weight and that cost me some extra walking miles.

BB

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BB... Optimally, I would like to have a taller tripod but realistically, were talking about the back country and I never care too much for comfort as functionality comes first! I lay prone or sit crouched and utilize my 20X60mmX65mm Swaro straight just fine... Fact is that these tripods are bomb proof... I really mean it too... They're so tough, that I believe I may still be using it long enough to pass it on to my son one day! Weight is the single greatest factor, then size... I know that there are great options available, I simply decided to roll the dice on the Outdoorsmans and feel that my bet paid off... A great product and system especially with the pistol grip, well worth the coin.
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BB... I also have an extra pad head if you would rather go that route, if you want to buy one off me, I'll give you a good deal... It is "new" Just let me know...

I have 5 pan heads and two pistol grips.... Soooo, I can stand to get rid of one of the pan heads
    "This is A Way of Life"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    How do you guy's like the twist style leg adjustments? I've grown accustomed to the quick release style and am a little skeptical on the twist style.