Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some help narrowing down an area

I am planning an elk hunt in Colorado next year. I am going with my dad and three other guys from church. I have been doing research on everything elk hunting in Colorado. I have come up with hunting around Gunnison. I have a few questions about the area. Of course you can find anything on the web and some guys are saying there are not as many elk around these parts and then the next say there is an elk around every tree (just an exaggeration). we are doing a pack in wall tent style hunt (more questions to follow on that subject). Here is what I am looking for terrain and population. Since 4/5 of the guys are going are over 50 I don't want to get to an area and find out its nothing but steep mountains and impossible to get to, but we are all willing to work to get these elk, specially since I am the 1/5 pack mule. I have not been to Colorado for a while and when I did go it was to Estus Park. We did see a lot of elk there so my question is would I be better off hunting around there then further southwest? any info is appreciated even if its hunted this area and seen a lot would help. Thank you guys in advance for your help and time. If you come to SD for pheasants ill help you and try and get you on some birds....if/when the population comes back

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 3 Posts
    Do you guys want to hunt with archery or rifle?
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by howler243 View Post
    I am planning an elk hunt in Colorado next year. I am going with my dad and three other guys from church. I have been doing research on everything elk hunting in Colorado. I have come up with hunting around Gunnison. I have a few questions about the area. Of course you can find anything on the web and some guys are saying there are not as many elk around these parts and then the next say there is an elk around every tree (just an exaggeration). we are doing a pack in wall tent style hunt (more questions to follow on that subject). Here is what I am looking for terrain and population. Since 4/5 of the guys are going are over 50 I don't want to get to an area and find out its nothing but steep mountains and impossible to get to, but we are all willing to work to get these elk, specially since I am the 1/5 pack mule. I have not been to Colorado for a while and when I did go it was to Estus Park. We did see a lot of elk there so my question is would I be better off hunting around there then further southwest? any info is appreciated even if its hunted this area and seen a lot would help. Thank you guys in advance for your help and time. If you come to SD for pheasants ill help you and try and get you on some birds....if/when the population comes back
    The area Estes Park is in is limited quota and takes several points for a nonresident to draw. I would suggest looking further west. Some of the limited quota areas around North Park or Craig are OTC and hold lots of elk. There is also lots of pressure. Maps are a good place to get started. Find areas of expansive public land and areas where you can pop your tent up and have access to areas with several square miles of no roads. Exactly where you hunt depends upon the season.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HiMtnHnter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    The terrain on the units South of Gunnison isn't bad but they're LE. You won't see elk behind every bush, but there's a growing population that produces a handful of good bulls.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to packmule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im sorry I did forget we are going otc 2nd season rifle

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 39 Times in 2 Posts
    If you are going to be hunting the lower country of the Gunnnison Basin area I would consider hunting the 3rd season if it is OTC as well. The weather gets colder and pushes more animals down to the lower elevations. Also The 2nd rifle season in Colorado is insanity, it is the first combined season of the year and I see tons of out of state hunters as well as resident hunters pulling their 4 wheelers into the mountains. 3rd season seems to be a bit more mellow. Just my basic advice. Call the biologists for the units you are looking at, the herd around Gunnison is doing well as far as I know.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to In God We Trust For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The units around Gunny are good. A lot of elk there but they are hunted hard and well educated. If you are not interested in deer hunting I would consider applying for 1st season. You can draw most of those units with 0 points and have a better hunt. It's a short season but if you come out a week early and scout you can have a great 5 day hunt come go time. There is a 2 week break between archery and first season so the elk can be more relaxed and habitual at this time. IGWT is right, 2nd season is tough. Definitely the most difficult season to take an elk. If you want to hunt the lower country then apply for 4th season. I would always recommend the 1st or 4th seasons over 2nd or 3rd. Simply because they are limited entry and i firmly believe better overall hunts. If you have some specific questions about some of the units pm me and I will be glad to help.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GOAT For This Useful Post: