Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

elk hunting first rifle units 44,45,444,47

I will be going to Colorado for first rifle elk hunting in 2015. I am considering hunting units 44,444,45 and 47 I was looking at maps and other info online and am considering the Holy Cross Wilderness area. We are at this time planning to hunt from a truck base camp with wall tents and then hike in to hunt. We may stay for a few days up high and backpack hunt working out of the base camp as needed. I have hunted units 44 and 444 before in second rifle about 14 years ago along the gypsum creek area and red table mountain saw some elk but didn't connect. Just looking for some early insight from those more experienced. Any help would be greatly appreciated. None of our plans are set in stone, my plan is to stay flexible to try and improve our success. I am not picky I would consider any elk a great success. Actually just getting out to enjoy the outdoors without a bunch of other hunters in our area would be considered a successful trip.

karl

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hunting first rifle will be lots better than 2nd rifle. Not familar with that area good luck
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eberle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Eberle I saw where you posted on another thread about some buddies of yours hunting 444 OTC rifle for elk this past fall. How did they make out? I was also considering this area for first rifle 2015.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There was 3 of them going to otc 2nd rifle. Two of the three backed out, so none of them ended up going.
    "Only two people have died for You and I, The American Soldier died for Our Freedom & Jesus Christ Died for Our Souls!" I thank GOD for them! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

NRA Life Member

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eberle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted 444 last year... I was not able to scout the area until I was hunting... I will be going back this year first or second season. I found a great deal of fresh elk sign in a few places. I also checked out the Holy Cross Wilderness area. Saw some Moose sign back there. There are a few routes into Holy Cross, I don't recommend the western entrance around the private property ranch. It takes you literally up a cliff... If I strike out in a few other places in 444, I will take the other route into Holy Cross (southern route) especially if the weather turns bad (as its at lower elevation). Unit 444 is great for a doe tag... Many doe's were seen; however, no one in our group had a doe tag. Elk were taken out of this area; however, it always comes down to being in the right place at the right time. The area is huge, but the roads can be very sketchy when they are wet.
    Last edited by Patrick Littrell; 02-24-2014 at 11:24 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Littrell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will be able to give you another update after the 2014 season... I will not be hunting 444 in 2015 as I will finally have enough points to hunt unit 61!!!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Littrell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunted part of the Holy Cross Wilderness solo in 2013 muzzleloader season. I saw elk but ended up taking a buck. I will likely be back to 45 this fall. Either the same season or 1st rifle. So obviously I think it is a good place to hunt. Not the same elk density as other parts of Colorado, but easier to find solitude and easy to draw.

One thing I will say is that it will be very difficult to get an elk OUT of most places in the Holy Cross Wilderness propper without horses. Even with a bunch of guys. I had arrranged for Tom Burch with Half Moon Packing and Outfitting to help me in case I got a bull down. They only have the permit rights to the southern half of the wilderness area though. In the north, you'd want to talk to Gavin Selway with Bearcat Stables. He will have hunters around the Grouse Mtn area in the wilderness. I steered clear of there after seeing the parking lot at the trailhead in Minturn completely full of horse trailers.

If you are OK with less solitude, there are other places outside the wilderness where you would likely have an easier time packing out a bull. And, like you said, the 044 tags allow you to hunt several units. You will have fun.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Bailey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

elk hunting first rifle units 44,45,444,47

If you have a cow tag for 44 it is 44 only just FYI same with doe and buck, bull tags are almost statewide. Of you want the tag for 44, 444,45, 47 that is a 1st season only either sex or cow tag, and you cannot buy a bull tag with those. I've hunted all these areas and a states above packed for bearcat stables in the area

If you get meat from the store then dont criticize me for having the courage to go out and kill my own meat

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gypsumreaper For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks 2 my fellow okie!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to swampokie For This Useful Post: