Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Understanding the CO and WY moose draw

I know that I have no chance of drawing a bull moose tag in the lower 48 since I have no points in either state. So I was looking into the cow tag option.

In both states it looks like cow tags are easier to draw. I am looking at areas 38,41 in WY and 7,8,191 in CO.

I think I understand WY, just straight up preference points and this year there were 4 cow tags available and someone cashed in 7 pts, 1 person with 2 pts and 2 people drew it with 1 pt.

CO has a weighted points system and this is where I am unclear. For sure on the bull tags I understand that you have to have 3 preference points prior to accumulating weighted points which are then used to determine your position in the draw based on a random number and some fuzzy math.

For the 3 cow tags available this year in the CO units I am interested in only 4 nonresidents applied. None of them had weighted points. So did those tags get drawn by those NR on a straight up PP basis, random draw basis or not at all since no one had weighted points.

CO also lists 3 hunt codes, one for each weapon type, but they don't break down the draw like that. How do they allocate tags by weapon choice?

WY seems easier to understand and a little cheaper.

What's the Tag $'s/lbs of moose meat come out to on a average cow? (how much meat are you getting on a cow moose)

Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    That all seems confusing to me, just come on up to Alaska and shoot one.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 10 Times in 2 Posts
    AK - How tough is it to find a cow moose in AK?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chsdaddy View Post
    I know that I have no chance of drawing a bull moose tag in the lower 48 since I have no points in either state. So I was looking into the cow tag option.

In both states it looks like cow tags are easier to draw. I am looking at areas 38,41 in WY and 7,8,191 in CO.

I think I understand WY, just straight up preference points and this year there were 4 cow tags available and someone cashed in 7 pts, 1 person with 2 pts and 2 people drew it with 1 pt.

CO has a weighted points system and this is where I am unclear. For sure on the bull tags I understand that you have to have 3 preference points prior to accumulating weighted points which are then used to determine your position in the draw based on a random number and some fuzzy math.

For the 3 cow tags available this year in the CO units I am interested in only 4 nonresidents applied. None of them had weighted points. So did those tags get drawn by those NR on a straight up PP basis, random draw basis or not at all since no one had weighted points.

CO also lists 3 hunt codes, one for each weapon type, but they don't break down the draw like that. How do they allocate tags by weapon choice?

WY seems easier to understand and a little cheaper.

What's the Tag $'s/lbs of moose meat come out to on a average cow? (how much meat are you getting on a cow moose)

Thanks!
    The one problem I see with Colorado is you never are "guaranteed" to draw since their point system is not a true preference system, and operates more like a bonus point system. Just because you have the most points, you are not guaranteed to draw.

Go with Wyoming. You would have no problem taking a cow moose in Unit 38. We saw scads of them deer hunting in 2012. Get a point or and you will be able to pick the year to go.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 10-08-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts

In the example you gave I'd say no NR drew since none of them had weighted points. You can apply for any weapon, i.e. rifle, archery, or muzzy and then decide later on (before the season starts) to turn the tag back in for a different weapon/season. Some guy's draw an archery or muzzy tag then end up turning it back in for the rifle tag when they start feeling the pressure of not being successful on a "once in a lifetime" tag. Of course this applies more to bull tags then cow tags.

The only good thing, if you wanna call it that about CO vs. WY is you could draw the first year you put in with weighted points in CO. I'm not sure how long of a wait your looking at in WY? Giving them $75 a year for the privilege to apply can get pretty expensive too. If you wanna draw and hunt moose once in your lifetime, I'd say apply for both! Or a better option might be go to Alaska as mentioned above! Oh yea, and about units 7, 8, 191... you will have no problem killing a cow there. Wait awhile and you can probably kill one close to a road!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    AK - that's in the cards some day. We usually come to AK to stock up on fish every other year. When you do the math vs paying for wild caught halibut and salmon, financially it makes sense. At least that's how I've convinced the wife!

UH - maybe I could boil my question down to this - If no one in the CO moose draw has weighted points how are the tags allocated? You are right WY does look like the way to go based on what I have researched.

Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ah yes the elusive trophy cow, close to the road!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    AK - that's in the cards some day. We usually come to AK to stock up on fish every other year. When you do the math vs paying for wild caught halibut and salmon, financially it makes sense. At least that's how I've convinced the wife!

UH - maybe I could boil my question down to this - If no one in the CO moose draw has weighted points how are the tags allocated? You are right WY does look like the way to go based on what I have researched.

Thanks
    I believe those in the 3 point pool would have first shot at a tag, those in the 2 point pool second shot, and so on. So without weighted points it would look like a true preference point draw. That's my take on it. I drew my mountain goat tag in that scenario years ago when you had to choose to apply for sheep or goat and as a result the goat draw was very good.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Ah yes the elusive trophy cow, close to the road!
    You'll appreciate this more once you get a big cow down and have to pack it out! Especially if you don't have much help... I'm pretty sure your not even in the draw for CO if you don't have your 3 weighted points. Therefore the tag would go to a resident who does have the weighted points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I am still piling points for Wyoming Hopefully 3-4 yrs. will get me in the area I want. Your best bet for chance at a cow moose is Wyoming.