Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tek Hunter Pro or Spot Hogg Boss Hogg?

Ok, I'm currently using a Spot Hogg Real Deal on my Spyder 30. I just ordered the Carbon Spyder 34 and want to upgrade the sight. I'm looking at the Tek Hunter Pro and the Boss Hogg, any suggestions?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 4 Posts
    Over the summer I was asking myself the same question and even had both of those sights at my house to test and see which I liked better. Here was my thoughts:

-For the CBE Tek Hunter, I felt the pins were too exposed and did not appear to be very robust. I was too afraid of a pin breaking or more likely, bending. Also, I thought the pins seemed a little darker when compared to the Spot Hogg. Otherwise I did like the build of the remainder of the sight. I just did not want to trust the pins holding up to twigs and branches poking at them.

-For the Spot Hogg Boss Hog, I thought it was well built. But I didn't like that it does not come with even a blank tape for the sight scale. It does have an engraved wheel that you can use with any of several computer programs in conjunction with your bow speed (or the use of the engraved wheel and some testing) to develop and get a sight scale printed off. But, I thought for the price I should be using something better than a printed piece of paper that I tape to the this sight (one option proposed by Spot Hogg when I called and spoke with them).

I came up with a third option and is what I currently am using. I orded a custom Black Hills Gold Ascent Ambush with 4 pins and a rear facing sight tape. With this option I could pick the color of the pins, size of the pins, mounting style, etc. and it only took about a week to receive this "custom" sight. Also, this sight comes with one blank sight tape and something like 54 pre-printed sight tapes with what seems like every possible bow speed for modern bows. So far I am one season into using this sight and I really like it. It is built like a tank and I am not sure I can break it. Note: Black Hills spend $'s on the product and technology not necessarily on cosmetic things. The corners or edges may not be as finished as a Spot Hogg, but I was ok with that. No regrets here and I would recommend this sight to anyone and will difinetely buy another when needed.
    Last edited by Work2hunt; 01-03-2014 at 09:34 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Work2hunt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Work2hunt, thanks for the info. I think ill make a trip down to the local shop and see if they have a Ascent Ambush I can compare to the other two sights. May be another week or so before I make up my mind.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    spot hogg is a better sight anyways i have a hogg it boss hogg and hogg father and would pick them over CBEs best any day.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    I second the opinion on the BG Ascent. I have the Ascent, 3 pin, rear facing tape with 4" dove tail and I can't brag enough about it. I wanted to look at the Spot Hogg, but couldn't swallow the price. The pins are bright on the BG and even dim when it is super sunny so you don't get the halo. It is a well built site, but I wish I had gotten the micro adjust sight... other than that, its a great site. I bought mine from S&S archery. They also have tutorials on setting them up and dialing in.
    Last edited by tdcour; 01-17-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Still have not made up my mind. I've got about 3 or 4 more weeks to figure it out. But i'm leaning towards a SH or BG. When did choosing a new sight become such a task?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the help fellas. I decided to go with the Tommy Hogg 3 pin. It should be here in a few day. Now I just need for my new bow to come in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carbon spyder 34.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	7922

After 6 week, I got it all put together. Now I just need to figure out how to sight in the Tommy! Once again thanks for all the info fellas!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 4 Posts
    Good luck. Nice looking set-up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Very sexy looking bow!
    I hunt because......