Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tent Reviews Wanted

I've read some of the historical posts, but I thought I would see what is new.

I'm in the market to get a new backpacking tent. I'm thinking at least a 2 person design as my wife may be with me at times (or should I go 3 person?). I want something that is good or great in both rain and wind, durable, lightweight and packable. Probably ranked in that order of importance.

Let me know reviews on the tents you've tried....good and bad.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Have you considered floorless? Where will you be backpacking?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Hilleberg tents are great. I have used their Kaitum 3 on several hunts and love it. It weighs 6 or 7 pounds and is roomy enough for 3 people IF you are good friends. 2 is better if not! The quality is excellent but the prices are high. They probably make better models for strong wind but I've had it out in 25-30 knots on a sheep hunt and it did fine. Just utilize all the stake-out points.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Grantbvfd View Post
    Have you considered floorless? Where will you be backpacking?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure in interested in floorless, but I am willing to listen to the pros and cons.

I'll be using this tent on backpacking trips over the summer and into October. Both locally to me on some hiking trips planned and also out west with some trips including high country deer hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a BA Copper Spur 2. I only use it for myself and my gear. It is big enough for 2 to sleep side by side, and has double vestibules for gear. I have had it in pretty harsh wind and rain for a few days straight, and it held up just fine.

My brother has a Marmot limelight 2. It is pretty low tech in regard to weight and pack size, but is spacious and tough. A 3 person tent would be a palace for 2 plus gear, and may not be too bad when you split the weight. Not really necessary IMO.

I am looking into a Tarptent Rainbow. The Rainbow 2 would be great for 2 people, and is super light. I cant remember if it has double vestibules??

my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Let me know what you think of the tarptent. I haven't seen it in person, but from pictures on the internet it doesn't appear to have a very tall sidewall from the bathtub floor design and I would be afraid of splash getting into the tent. Again, I haven't seen it in person just what I can see from pictures so i'm not sure.
    Last edited by Work2hunt; 01-06-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BTW, is it just me or who picks the colors of these tents.....what's wrong with some muted colors or earth tones instead of highlighter yellow or blaze orange or neon green.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have to remind myself that a lot of this kind of gear is for mountaineering people and world trekkers. They would rather have a shelter they can find from 2 miles away, where we would rather be discreet. I notice guys are having to buy some footwear like that also, and spray paint the neon colors. If we all stuck with what you could buy at cabelas, we would be packing an extra 20lbs on every hunt. price we pay. I really like the glow in the reflective guy lines now. Nothing better after a couple hours in the dark than to see that little glow in the dark tent up ahead. Only thing better than that is when your hunting partner already has a fire going.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    Let me know what you think of the tarptent. I haven't seen it in person, but from pictures on the internet it doesn't appear to have a very tall sidewall from the bathtub floor design and I would be afraid of splash getting into the tent.
    I hope to get my hands on it this year, but it might not happen.

I was looking at the rainbow as my bivy out setup that I would take with me everyday. I am looking at setting up the copper spur as a base camp for 10 days or more. I would take the rainbow, my sleep system, and 3 days food and spike out a little further. I carry a 6'x8' tarp right now with a pile of stakes and 550 cord. I just think I would be happier with something freestanding. On hunts where I may only have the one setup, I would likely just take the rainbow to save weight over the copper spur. This is my current OCD research project. I am not 100% ready to buy yet. I will definitely put some comments up If I get this together.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I second the Copper spur. I have a 1 person and my buddy has the 2. Great tents.