Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Still trying to gather info. Anyone have any experience with Mountain Hardwear or Kelty tents? Not familiar with either, but I have come across there tents while doing my research.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    take a look at the big agnes fly creek ul2. This is the one I'm going to try for next year. super light and have read a lot of good reviews on it

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I had a mountain hardware lighthouse 2 man. Ok tent for room but bad condensation and little venting. Replaced with a REI half moon.
    Very good tent size wise and good venting but may have too much mesh for really cold weather. You might need a 4 season if it gets really cold in your hunting area. Cost wise the REI was a good deal in a quality tent. Price verses weight has to be considered.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've been using the BA fly creek ul2 for a couple years now so here is my opinion. First, it's one of the lightest fully enclosed tents out there. For one person it works fine, I do have some issues with it. The vestibule is not that big, but has just enough room to throw one persons gear under in a rain storm. it is too tight to get under, zip up and shed your rain gear before crawling into the living space in a comfortable manner, but it works in a pinch. I would not use it for two people, even with a wife. Because the tent is so light and I bought it so cheap ($160 REI used gear sale) I haven't felt the need to get another tent. But I would prefer a side entry tent.

If I was going to make a two person tent work for only two people I'd get a tent that had dual entries and dual vestibules. that way each person is not crawling over the other person to get in and out, and they both have some place to put their boots. I have an REI two man tent that is like this and have used it comfortably with one other person because of the dual entries. Otherwise I'd get a three man tent for two people.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob P For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Used hilleberg akto this year on high country hunt. Light weight and great tent, no problems with moisture. Had some good rain and wind storms and the tent never missed a beat. Easy to set up, lightweight, great one man tent. Not the cheapest on the market, but after using it, worth the money.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by AKaviator View Post
    Hilleberg tents are great. I have used their Kaitum 3 on several hunts and love it. It weighs 6 or 7 pounds and is roomy enough for 3 people IF you are good friends. 2 is better if not! The quality is excellent but the prices are high. They probably make better models for strong wind but I've had it out in 25-30 knots on a sheep hunt and it did fine. Just utilize all the stake-out points.
    Lol!! Your response made me laugh!! I went backpacking this summer with a guy and his dog. He had a 2 person tent which was very tight quarters with all our gear. The dog ended up sleeping on top of me all night. At least I stayed warm....

Glad this thread was started. I have been looking into getting a backpacking tent but am not sure what to get. It will just be for me and my gear so I don't need anything real big. In fact, cuddling with my gear may be comforting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BA Copper Spur UL3

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all the feedback. Keep it coming. It seems like there is a lot of votes for the BA fly creek and a few for the BA copper spur. I'll have to look at both a little closer. I do like the side entry if the copper spur.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Floorless-
    Ability to run a packable wood stove
    You dont have to worry about tracking mud or dirt inside
    You dont have to worry about cleaning the floor
    And last but not least the weight savings is huge

Floored
    You can setup on soaking wet ground and not get wet anywhere inside the tent
    Completely sealed off from any crawlers

With all that said and there are more pros to each but that's the basics I run a big Agnes copper spur. Lightweight 3 season shelter with side vestibules. Separate entrances are very handy too. I am planning on getting a mega tarp from kifaru for higher elevation hunts where bugs aren't as big of an issue. And possibly a 6 or 8 man tipi and large stove for later season adventures.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used the MSR Hubba Hubba 1P and 2P tents for the last couple years. The Hubba 2P weighs about a pound more than the BA Copper Spur. They are reasonably priced, bombproof, and set up in about a minute. Definitely worth a look, plus the green color isn't too obnoxious!