Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you, yes I agree with attempting to draw for a draw only unit. What are some of the better units that I can draw with 0 points? And if I need to go with an OTC tag are cow tags as available as bull? Also, what OTC units should I consider if need be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I dont think there are any OTC cow tags but some units could have leftover tags. Going over the statistics on the CO page and the MRS will show you what tags you can get and help you narrow it down.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I agree with checking out the bull or either sex draws that can happen with 0 pp. Worst case if you don't draw you can fall back on either a leftover tag or an OTC tag. I can't speak for a lot of Colorado areas but there are some decent units in the area you are speaking of that can be drawn with 0 pp.

My recommendation is to review the stats for the seasons you are looking for, narrow the field to a couple GMUs through the stats maps etc and then call the area biologist. I'm working on a locating a few new areas myself and this is the basic strategy outlined to me. Also the new book Elk Hunting the West Revised by Mike Eastman has a good chapter on conducting this research.
    Last edited by Work2hunt; 01-05-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One thing about the OTC tags is you arent married to a specific unit so you can look elsewhere if the unit you choose isnt looking good or if you can get there a few days early you could scout a few units before the season starts and plan from there. I think success rates in OTC units are around 15% or less usually and I would guess those 15% either know the area pretty well or are very lucky. OTC hunts are not easy hunts to fill a tag which is alot of why they can have OTC tags without killing to many elk to sustain the elk herds. If I went on an OTC hunt, which I will some year when I dont draw anything, I would not be unhappy to come home with tag soup.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That is why I believe a draw unit will be much better. Someone I talked to said that they have had success in unit 3 in the first season and that 100% of those who applied with 0 points drew. Is this true? And how's the hunting in unit 3 in the first rifle season?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also are there any other units that you suggest I look in to as a possibility of a unit that i might condider applying for in the first rifle season?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Most of your questions can be answered by looking on the CO web site and reading the MRS. I realize this years MRS is not out yet but last years will get you a good head start for when it does come out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Look at units around meeker or gunnison that you can draw with 0 points. Apply for either sex (if offered) as first choice and cow as second in either the first or fourth season. You should be able to draw a tag and have a good hunt. OTC units can be very good but for someone who does not live close and can scout extensively I think this approach is a much better option than going OTC.