Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Berger VLD hunting bullets

A friend of mine gave me a partial box of HSM, 300 WSM, 185gr Berger VLD Hunting rounds. I took them to the range and shot five shot quarter sized ragged hole at 200 yards. My question is, has anyone out there used these bullets on anything bigger than antelope or deer? I generally stick with Partitions and Accubonds, but these are so accurate I would change if they will hold up on bigger critters like elk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck8541 View Post
    A friend of mine gave me a partial box of HSM, 300 WSM, 185gr Berger VLD Hunting rounds. I took them to the range and shot five shot quarter sized ragged hole at 200 yards. My question is, has anyone out there used these bullets on anything bigger than antelope or deer? I generally stick with Partitions and Accubonds, but these are so accurate I would change if they will hold up on bigger critters like elk.
    The Guys from the Best of the West have shot many diff size big game from moose to bear an elk I have shot them but did not like the way they came apart I hunt with HDY SST in 165gr an mostly Barnes TTSX 168gr have been told buy fellow hunters they put lead in Ur meat

Thanks
    I have shot Berger bullets for a long time now killed a couple does at 600 using 190 grain vld 300 win mag and also mule deer at 200 yards and they worked flawlessly. I have a buddy that killed his elk this year using 168 vld out of 7 wsm at 200 dropped in its tracks. I also seen a buddy shoot a whitetail right in the shoulder at 150 yards hit the dirt and then got up and ran away and never found it. If u make a good shot on a elk with those its not going anywhere. It's all about shot placement! If they are shooting that good go with them just make sure they are the hunting bullet and not the match bullet because the match ones have a lot thicker jacket so they don't open up when shooting matches, the hunting jacket is thinner designed for hunting. Good luck

Thanks
    longrangehunting dot com has all the info you need

Thanks
    I have shot four elk now with the Berger. Three were from a 30-06 and the other from a 7mm mag. Everyone of them dropped them in there tracks or they didn't go more than ten yards. I have been very satisfied. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Thanks guys you have been a big help.

Thanks
    I've read on Berger's website that they take a different approach to killing game with their bullets. They want their bullets to dump all their energy into the animal instead of hold together and pass all the way through like other bullets. They claim that their bullets do more than "poke the animal like an arrow". So from what I've figured from that, being as I've never shot berger bullets, is that they fragment into the animal to cause a large wound channel and have very little weight retention, but that seems to be what they are going for so I don't think it's a bad thing. Just an FYI

Thanks

Cool

My understanding is the same. The Hunting VLD's are designed to fragment. So shot placement in the lung/heart area is best. If you do high shoulder it will ruin some meat, but it should also make for a fast kill. Seen a couple of mule deer drop like sacks of potato's at 600yrs & 800yrds with high shoulder shots using these bullets.

Personally I have taken three AZ Coues deer 430/330/410 yards all with HSM's 130gr 270win Hunting VLD's. All three deer were shot in the heart/lung area and none went more than 10yrds. I hated this rifle until I switched to these bullets. Using HSM made it darn accurate.

Also seen this year a Spike Elk take Hornaday 180 SST Superformance .300win mag in the chest and not come out the other side. This spike did not expire quickly and took another two shots. What was odd for me is that the bullet did not expand all that much. It was a 100yrd shot right in the basket??? So picking the right bullet for shot placement has been more my focus and research.

Going to try some 150gr Hunting VLD's out of my .300RUM on Javi this spring. If I can get out and practice. I know, I know.... little much for the stink pig. But I really want to try a 500+ yrd shot on one of these criters. Plus that rifle needs to get out of the safe. For backup the .270 will work.....

Thanks
    I got a used HS Precision and the seller recommended HSM 168 Berger as the shot well.I tried them on my Nevada mule deer hunt with good results.The shot was 335 yards and the shot was in the boiler room as the deer was laying down.The deer got up and made it 15 yards and piled up and lets just say that the insides were a mess!
    I would be hesitant on a shoulder shot on a elk but worked well on deer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UB-AZ View Post
    My understanding is the same. The Hunting VLD's are designed to fragment. So shot placement in the lung/heart area is best. If you do high shoulder it will ruin some meat, but it should also make for a fast kill. Seen a couple of mule deer drop like sacks of potato's at 600yrs & 800yrds with high shoulder shots using these bullets.

Personally I have taken three AZ Coues deer 430/330/410 yards all with HSM's 130gr 270win Hunting VLD's. All three deer were shot in the heart/lung area and none went more than 10yrds. I hated this rifle until I switched to these bullets. Using HSM made it darn accurate.

Also seen this year a Spike Elk take Hornaday 180 SST Superformance .300win mag in the chest and not come out the other side. This spike did not expire quickly and took another two shots. What was odd for me is that the bullet did not expand all that much. It was a 100yrd shot right in the basket??? So picking the right bullet for shot placement has been more my focus and research.

Going to try some 150gr Hunting VLD's out of my .300RUM on Javi this spring. If I can get out and practice. I know, I know.... little much for the stink pig. But I really want to try a 500+ yrd shot on one of these criters. Plus that rifle needs to get out of the safe. For backup the .270 will work.....
    I too am in the very beginning stage of switching over to this bullet. One of the things they (HSM) said was that this bullet simply not a close range bullet. It was/is designed strictly for a distance of 300 yds or greater. Oh course I have no personal experience with this at all and my uncle dumped a buck this yr in his tracks at a 130yds with the VLD so go figure.

Just thought it may be of value to mention.