Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck8541 View Post
    A friend of mine gave me a partial box of HSM, 300 WSM, 185gr Berger VLD Hunting rounds. I took them to the range and shot five shot quarter sized ragged hole at 200 yards. My question is, has anyone out there used these bullets on anything bigger than antelope or deer? I generally stick with Partitions and Accubonds, but these are so accurate I would change if they will hold up on bigger critters like elk.
    What rifle do you have?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use them in my 264 and have used them and seen them used in a 243. What others have said is true. I got to test the 87gr 243 loads when they sent them out to people for field testing. I have used them on whitetail as close as 30yds and they performed well on both shoulder and lung shots. Two hunters I met in Wyoming this fall used them in their 7 mags and both had great bulls taken at over 500yds. I have yet to see one fail, but I've not shot anything bigger than deer and antelope with them.

The thing that worries me a little is that they seldom exit on bigger bodied deer. They aren't designed to, they rely on massive internal damage. Also they penetrate 3" or so before expanding much so they make a small entrance wound. I hauled one doe home with the entrance wound on the bottom side and didn't even have blood on my truck bed, the fat sealed the wound. The internal damage when we opened her up was massive. Blood trails are minimal if they exist, but it hasn't been a problem since I've never seen a deer or antelope go very far after a hit. Even on a couple hits to far back they put the animal right down. Elk are much bigger and tougher but I still can't see one going to far with his lungs wrecked. I know some hunters chamber a accubond round in case of a short shot and have the Berger loads in the magazine for shots with time to set up. Guess that is an option if your gun shoots them close enough to the same.

I have had trouble with them on coyotes past 175yds in the 243. They didn't open fast enough in the small narrow body of a coyote to put it down right away on broadside shots. I went away from them for that use. They are designed for big game not varmints.

I can't say anything bad about them for big game. I still chose to use the accubond from my 270 for my elk hunt. I figured with a gun on the light side I should stick with a tough bullet.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    They're a long range bullet that really don't do anything special until about the 500yd mark when BC takes over. They're designed to impact at lower velocities than your bonded bullets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I haven't had an Antelope blink after being hit with 180's out of a 7STW from 300-425 yards. I thought I saw a cpl come off the ground a few feet though. I'll be killing Elk with them in Sept.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I loaded my 7mm with 168 for my just turned 14 , grandson to a large black bear from the ground. Bear fell over backwards DRT. Recovered the bullet and it weighted what Berger said it would. I use RWS 177 for very close range but have yet to shoot a large animal with them. RWS is the most accurate round I have shot from my Rem 700, shooting 1/4 in, but Berger is what I hunt with. Shot a 180 mule deer at 200 yes, DRT. Shot a wt. (300lbs) with a 55gr Silvertip. Bullet was a pass thru double lung and deer went about 75 yds. All the bullets will do a good job if they hit the proper vitals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have killed a few elk with Berger VLD hunting bullets. One shot kills, excellent performance. This season I ran the Classic Hunter with similar performance. They don't go far.

Like many expanding designs, they do cause a pretty good wound channel on the off side, so keep that in mind during shot placement. If the bullet is going to exit in an area of desirable cuts, you could lose some meat.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    What rifle do you have?
    Its a custom S/S, Winchester 70, 27" Lilja Barrel, McMillan Stock
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 wsm 1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	7517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 wsm 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	7518
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 300 WSM, 1.png  
    Last edited by Buck8541; 01-08-2014 at 10:54 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Buck8541 For This Useful Post: