Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My brother and I sent in as a group and weren't drawn. Why I don't know but we weren't drawn for the deer license. Rick wanted to do the hunt the next year but we decided not to try the application process again and be out another year of hunting. He hunts land for deer and antelope towards Cohagen. After this he gave us various dates that he would get the $ back to us and they always came and went. Then the bad checks came. Its not sour grapes towards him, but I am trying to explain the situation as it happened. If I was looking at a guide I would love to hear maybe negative experiences about the business, rather then all positive. Just my opinion. I don't know what was going on in his life, he didn't tell me. We also didn't draw antelope tags that year because they were cut back quite a bit. I have moved on, but thought it would be useful information for someone looking at guides and to let them know what they are getting into if for some reason things don't wotk out. He seemed like a nice guy and knowledgable about hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks again, not sure what the confusion is here. If I had a bad experience with an outfitter or guide why not share it?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thanks for the info, Bucky. Any dishonesty or bad checks should put up a red flag for anybody here.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    There is a website that compiles experiences hunters have had with outfitters. It rates them (both good & bad) based on clients input about their hunt and everything connected with it. It is a subscrption site that is pretty cheap (less than 50.00) as I remember. I belong and it does provide some good information, altho lots of outfitters are not rated as no one has entered data about their experience. Site is www.nexthunt.com.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    All I know is that you are talking about money matters and not his hunts. He's been in business for an awful long time, as I knew the name as soon as I saw it. He must not be treating everyone badly or I would think there would be so much stuff out for a perspective client to see that people wouldn't go with him and he'd be OB. I have no problem with you relating what happened, but just trying to state that when stuff comes up on the net that there are always three sides to the story, that being yours, his, and probably actually something in between. I may be wrong, but I thing the season you're talking about was the first one when they had done away with outfitter sponsored licenses.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes it was the first season without outfitter tags. I called a few of his references before sending $ and they all said good things. I am sure if we would have drawn tags our opinions would have been a lot different and we would have had a good hunt. With the application deadlines approaching I thought I would share it. It is what it is.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Maybe it has been just deer/elk combo tags that have been leftover. I know before they made the changes the deer only tags were much harder to draw then the deer elk combo so maybe deer only tags are still harder to get then the combo. I havent kept a real close eye on MT since the prices went up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Yes, I believe you are correct about the deer tags vs deer/elk combo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 8 Posts
    Might have been a tough year for him and alot of outfitters in MT. Between doing away with the outfitter tags, wolves, and the antelope situation some outfitters probably got hit pretty good in the pocket book.