Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I've been on a few guided hunts and have never seen this situation. Generally the guide knows where the animals are (or where they are supposed to be) and you go looking.
    I'm no expert on guided hunts (never been on one), but I think what you describe is the way it works 95% of the time. Some guy's have tons of money and will spend whatever it takes to ensure a huge trophy. If that means having the outfitter employ 20 guides to get the job done, then that's what will happen. I love the pictures in trophy magazines of the rich DR. sitting behind his world class animal and 20 guides behind him with the outfitters hat and T-shirts on. Cracks me up!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Of course you would you live in Colorado and can scout. I agree, I'd take the ten too, but I live out west and scout. The above post you referenced refered to the guy living back east somewhere that had to go guided and really wanted a 350 or better bull and was older and was running out of time. In that case better to pay the money since he can afford it and get that big elk instead of trying on the cheap every year and then he wakes up 80 years old and no big elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I've been on a few guided hunts and have never seen this situation. Generally the guide knows where the animals are (or where they are supposed to be) and you go looking.

I know that 95% of outfitted hunts are like what you have been on. Have no problem with them. I'm talking about the hunts that get bought at auction by the uber wealthy like the spider bull. There was also a case a few years ago where some guides in Montana had a land owner, who normally allows access across his property, block the access cause they found a 200" ram and were waiting for their hunter to arrive. Guy Eastman actually posted about it on his blog, and then pulled it off.