Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Wyoming Elk Hunt

Would like some help with units to consider for hunt in 2014. Have max NR pp and would consider guided hunt or DIY. Will be 65 years old this fall but in reasonable good condition. Hope to have a chance for a 340 type bull. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Hi Minn Elk Chaser. For a guaranteed draw with max points, apply in Unit 7 and hunt with Wagonhound Land and Livestock. They have an enormous amount of land tied up in Unit 7. Unit 7 has some of the best bulls in the state if you are willing to pay for a guided hunt.

www.wagonhound.com
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 01-06-2014 at 08:50 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    I have thought about unit 7 but seems like only option is guided.. Thanks for the info I will check them out.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by minn elk chaser View Post
    I have thought about unit 7 but seems like only option is guided.. Thanks for the info I will check them out.
    i personally know two of the guides on the wagonhound and i think they would run the elk down if need be so you have a great hunt!

Thanks
    Just checked their web page and the hunt price maybe out of my range.

Thanks
    I'd second the Wagonhound guides, the one I know is a great hunter and guy. I've never hunted there but hunted with him on another ranch. I took my best muley, had a great hunt and made a great friend. I understand about the cost being high, a Wagonhound hunt is out of my reach also right now.

Thanks
    You might want to call the wyoming guides association. I received one of their magazines a few weeks ago. many options there. I'd guess you'll need to pay a fair amount if your heart is set on a 340" bull.

Thanks
    I expect to pay a reasonable price but $9500 for 5 days is just more than I can do. I will check the outfitters assc. so thanks for the idea.

Thanks
    You may want to consider applying in the special drawing. Yes, it's more money initially, however you'd be able to get into a few areas where a DIY hunt with limited scouting would produce for you.

Thanks
    Here lies a dilema that a lot of guys face that don't live close enough to the elk to effectively do their own scouting and prepare properly for a DIY hunt. They really want a big bull, but don't realize how difficult it can be to get a really big one say 340 or better. I'll use my uncle for an example...he's always wanted a 350 bull. I've pointed him in the right direction with the "short-list" of operations in various states like Wagonhound listed above. Obviously, he's found them too pricey even though he could afford them if he wanted to. Instead he's been on over 10 elk hunts ranging from $1,500-$4,000 and his biggest bull is a 260. He's spent over $25,000 spread over 30 years hunting elk. I told him to just save up for one premium hunt on a premium top-tier ranch. He's been "over-sold" on all his elk hunts trying to do it on the cheap. That's the problem picking up hunts at a "show"...unless you have first hand knowledge from guys that have hunted there you can fall pray to being oversold on a hunt.

The DIYer is in the same tough boat as a lot of guys are putting faith in saving up points for that special elk hunt. The price can't be beat, but most guys don't realize the risks of putting all your eggs in one basket. A bad drought year, weather, forest fires...not being able to get off work for long enough to properly scout the area before the hunt, or family emergencies can ruin a hunt. Most guys w/ premium tags don't go home with monsters...some even go home with raghorns.

That's a lot for a guy to consider, but if a guy is running out of time to hunt and defintely wants a big elk before they die I always advise them to just pay the money for a premium first-class operation on a ranch that has enough acreage to eliminate any issues.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 30Hart For This Useful Post:

5575gb (01-25-2014), Colorado Cowboy (01-07-2014), Ikeepitcold (01-25-2014), KNPV PSD (01-07-2014), marcusvdk (01-23-2014), mattdeere (01-07-2014), MWScott72 (01-10-2014)