Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    Sure you get to hunt huge bulls at the Wagonhound but you're also paying a lot for five star lodging and a steak supper every night. Personally, I'd rather not get charged for all the extra fluff. I'll stay in a tent and eat Mountain House for a cheaper rate as long as I still get to hunt monster bulls.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elkoholic307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010 Trip 087.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	7516
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    Sure you get to hunt huge bulls at the Wagonhound but you're also paying a lot for five star lodging and a steak supper every night. Personally, I'd rather not get charged for all the extra fluff. I'll stay in a tent and eat Mountain House for a cheaper rate as long as I still get to hunt monster bulls.
    ***Ain't that the truth, LOL! I had a lot of those Mountain House meals this past season and they are pretty darn good to the point that I just bought 4 #10 cans of the stuff to vacuum pack my own meals and save a lot of money compared to buying the individual meals. Big bulls can be found on public land if you do a lot of research, but IMHO the big thing is learning an area over a number of years. That's why we're so successful and the bull here my buddy shot in 2010 went 357 3/8" net.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    $9500 is alot of money but sometimes you also get what you pay for. If you would be happy with a nice 6x6 its one thing but if you want an outfitted hunt with a high chance of a 340+ bull I think it is not going to be cheap. They must have something there to be able to get that much money for a hunt. Not saying you cant get a 340 bull DIY or on a less expensive guided hunt but your chances would probably be much lower.
    When the OP said he was looking at an outfitter that charged that much, I figured he was willing to do so. There are literally 100's of outfitters that charge 1/2 that much (and less) that can get you a decent bull. You just have to do your homework ....where have i heard that before!

I am 72 now and retired. I do have the means to spend some money for an outfitter and have hunted with them before with mixed success. I have a wilderness hunt booked for a M/L hunt here in Colorado this year for less than 4K. I have a thing for wilderness hunts (I have done over 30) and just cannot get enough of them. There is just something about horseback riding into areas where you see almost no hunters and the pristine conditions are unbelievable. I guess I'll keep doing them as long as my $$$ and body hold out.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 30Hart View Post
    Here lies a dilema that a lot of guys face that don't live close enough to the elk to effectively do their own scouting and prepare properly for a DIY hunt. They really want a big bull, but don't realize how difficult it can be to get a really big one say 340 or better. I'll use my uncle for an example...he's always wanted a 350 bull. I've pointed him in the right direction with the "short-list" of operations in various states like Wagonhound listed above. Obviously, he's found them too pricey even though he could afford them if he wanted to. Instead he's been on over 10 elk hunts ranging from $1,500-$4,000 and his biggest bull is a 260. He's spent over $25,000 spread over 30 years hunting elk. I told him to just save up for one premium hunt on a premium top-tier ranch. He's been "over-sold" on all his elk hunts trying to do it on the cheap. That's the problem picking up hunts at a "show"...unless you have first hand knowledge from guys that have hunted there you can fall pray to being oversold on a hunt.

The DIYer is in the same tough boat as a lot of guys are putting faith in saving up points for that special elk hunt. The price can't be beat, but most guys don't realize the risks of putting all your eggs in one basket. A bad drought year, weather, forest fires...not being able to get off work for long enough to properly scout the area before the hunt, or family emergencies can ruin a hunt. Most guys w/ premium tags don't go home with monsters...some even go home with raghorns.

That's a lot for a guy to consider, but if a guy is running out of time to hunt and defintely wants a big elk before they die I always advise them to just pay the money for a premium first-class operation on a ranch that has enough acreage to eliminate any issues.

^ should be required reading

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 30Hart View Post
    but most guys don't realize the risks of putting all your eggs in one basket. A bad drought year, weather, forest fires...

That's a lot for a guy to consider, but if a guy is running out of time to hunt and defintely wants a big elk before they die I always advise them to just pay the money for a premium first-class operation on a ranch that has enough acreage to eliminate any issues.
    The same can be said for guided hunts. A couple of years ago I booked a hunt into a very famous area of NW Wyoming in the Teton Wilderness near the SE corner of YNP. It had a record of lots of great elk and deer for almost 100 years. The hunt was a bust as the wolves had really impacted the herds. I probably should have spent more time researching and understanding the impacts being felt, but I didn't.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 1 Post
    Some good comments and ideas. Must remember were not all equal with the amount of money we can spend. Have talked to a couple of outfitters that are more in line with what I can justify.

Have few more years maybe to hunt so want to make the most of them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check out wolverine creek outfitters they look interesting to me. John

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    If you want to check out Utah, just go to the UT Division of Wildlife Resources website (wildlife.utah.gov) and search Cooperative Wildlife Management Units (CWMUs). These are private ranches that take on paying hunters. The State gives them a certain number of tags (usually 90% of the allotment) for paying hunters in exchange for allowing public hunters to draw a fraction of those available tags (usually 10%). I'd just go down the list, give them a call, and see what they charge. Once you find one in your price range, do the homework on past hunters to see what you might expect.

I've heard good things about Stillman Creek and Coldwater Ranch in northern UT - pretty sure they're in that 8-10K+ range though. 340+ is going to be tough on a budget. In areas where elk get that big (on a regular basis that is), everyone knows, and the pricing jumps accordingly.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm going to help a buddy pack out his cow elk tomorrow once he pops it. Can't wait! Helps keep the winter doldrums from getting too severe...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks for the Utah info. Will check them out. Wish I could help with pack out. LOL

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Friend of mine is an outfitter in WY, guides mostly archery hunters "does take a rifle hunter every once in a while and only about 4-5 bow hunters. Private land, beautiful place. You will see 200-700 elk every single day, his archery hunters are 100% on 300"+ bull and none of his bowhunters have ever hunted a full week. Chance at a 340"+ bull is very good, you'll see about 5-10 a day in that 340-375" range. Send me a PM if you'd like more info, the price isn't out of line either if your looking for a big trophy bull I'd give him a call. 307-752-0771
    My buddy and I went in 2012 with our bows and we both took great bulls!

Name:	1 (2).jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	7573

Name:	img_1592 (2).jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	7574
    Last edited by 5575gb; 01-12-2014 at 01:36 PM.