Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with 30HART 100%. I have done a dozen guided hunts in my life from black bear and whitetails to Dall sheep and Mountain goat. None were cheap for a blue collar worker like myself but I have never come home with an unfilled tag and have a room full of trophies to prove it. Not once have I regreted the money I spent.
    My advice would be, if you can scrape up enough cash, go with a proven guide and remove a large obstacle from a once in a lifetime hunt.
    Whatever you decide, I wish you luck....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 2 Posts
    Not everyone has the money nor wants to buy his tropy for the wall. A true trophy animal is not in the score of the rack but in the hunt. I think many of us forget that sometime. I know i have in the past. My future goals are to continue to do it DIY and enjoy the great scenory and company every fall. The 360 bull I dream of may or may not fall to my arrow but the time in the mountains will be cherished in my head and heart forever! Best of luck. Time to draw a tag!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lab For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Boulder Basin is a pretty good outfit.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    You nailed it! I've struggled with the same dilema for a few years as I am now 72. Lots of variables come into play and some of them money won't solve. If someone wants a trophy class elk close to 400", there are places to get one. Several large Canadian outfits do them, but the catch is lots of us don't consider them "Fair Chase" because they are completely fenced in ranches. Thousands of acres, but managed for trophies....just like farming IMHO. But if its horns you want..........
    This got my thinking... I didn't pay much attention to this because high fence is not really my style but as I continued to read on, this came to mind:

As a hunting society a lot of folks look down on high fence hunts but yet make no mention of these hunts that cost 10k or even more... This entire thread is almost proof. If you want a BIG animal you have to pay BIG bucks. So really, what's the difference? Is a high fence hunt more of a logical avenue for the average guy? It sure seems to be the most cost effective way. The price tags on these animals have gotten out of control.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about fair chase... But honestly, not sure if there's a difference between high fence and these private ranches that charge insane amounts for these huge animals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all about fair chase... But honestly, not sure if there's a difference between high fence and these private ranches that charge insane amounts for these huge animals.
    I think I'm gonna have to disagree with this. From a price standpoint, sure, there's probably not much of a difference. But that's where similarities end.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    This got my thinking... I didn't pay much attention to this because high fence is not really my style but as I continued to read on, this came to mind:

As a hunting society a lot of folks look down on high fence hunts but yet make no mention of these hunts that cost 10k or even more... This entire thread is almost proof. If you want a BIG animal you have to pay BIG bucks. So really, what's the difference? Is a high fence hunt more of a logical avenue for the average guy? It sure seems to be the most cost effective way. The price tags on these animals have gotten out of control.

Another thing to consider is that I don't think B & C recognizes these fenced ranches as "Fair Chase". So if you want a Booner, be careful and check out where you hunt.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I think I'm gonna have to disagree with this. From a price standpoint, sure, there's probably not much of a difference. But that's where similarities end.
    +1 I found that statement to not even be in the ballpark. To hunt elk in a high fence operation and even consider it to be remotely a fair chase without close to a 100% chance at an animal it would have to be thousands of acres. I've seen elk move several miles in nasty terrain in 15 minutes and they weren't even at a full run. It's too bad that many people are so hung up about taking a bull that's say 350" or bigger when a 300"-320" bull is a heck of a big trophy and can be taken on many DIY hunts in a lot of different units in Wyoming, including on a General Tag.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 01-24-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    All I know is watching these guys pass on 350 class bulls and then harvesting 370 plus is not an indicator of real hunting unless you have drawn some sort premier tag. Yet the right amount of cash makes this a reality.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Another thing to consider is that I don't think B & C recognizes these fenced ranches as "Fair Chase". So if you want a Booner, be careful and check out where you hunt.
    I dont think B&C would recognize any of them either. SCI does though. High fence is probably the easiest and most guaranteed way to get a monster bull. I have nothing against high fences but their just not for me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    I dont think B&C would recognize any of them either. SCI does though. High fence is probably the easiest and most guaranteed way to get a monster bull. I have nothing against high fences but their just not for me.
    Here is what I don't like about high fenced hunts. Yes, there might be a ton of land that is inside the fence and it may have great elk habitat and the elk don't know any difference but the elk are there and they are not leaving! If you know they are there then it becomes a cat and mouse game. Other non high fenced elk hunts don't guarantee you any thing because the elk could move off at any time.
    Have you ever looked at the sci magazine and the advertisers? High fenced hunts will never be in my resume. I would think it would be pretty hard to sleep at night.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BKC For This Useful Post: