Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base Camp Tent

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Base Camp Tent

I'm in the market for a base camp tent. I've never owned one and was wonder what people are using these days. I currently have a 2 man pack tent. A couple of the tents that caught my eye from cabelas are the Alaknak and the Big Horn 3. Looking to sleep at least 4 with plenty of room. Any advice would be great fellas.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the Alaknak and really like it, It doesn't get much use anymore since I got a camper. If I didn't use my camper I have always wanted a good wall tent. You can sleep 4 in the Alaknak. The one thing I don't like is the center pole it always seems to be in the way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ssliger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the 12X20 Alaknak tent and a vestibule and used it for a week in WY this past October. This tent is great. There were only 2 of us, but it will handle 4 people and cots. I highly recommend getting at least 1 vestibule, 2 would be better (1 for each end). We heated it with the Camp Chef barrel stove that Cabela's sells and it provided plenty of heat. We would use Buddy Heaters when we woke up in the morning to warm things up to get dressed, since the fire in the stove had gone out by then. Strongly recommend using wood burning stove as the primary heat source, we had zero condensation in the tent the entire week. One night we had very high winds (35-50 mph) and the tent did great. I used 4 ft posts cut from rebar as the guy out stakes and this is the only reason the tent did not blow away. The stakes that come with the tent are not long or strong enough to resist pulling out in very high winds since this tent has a large profile. The tent material seems very strong and durable. The 12X20 has 2 center poles which were no issue at all for us. I rigged a pole running horizontal between the 2 center poles and we hung clothes or lanterns on this. I would also recommend getting the floor saver or using a tarp as a floor saver and strongly recommend getting the roof protector to prevent sparks from burning holes in the roof. For a base camp, this tent performed great for me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LaHunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I chose a 10x12 Davis Wall tent made in Colorado. I highly recommend a wall tent as they are easy for one man to put up. Internal frame is the only way to go. There smallest stove will cook you out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mattdeere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdeere View Post
    I chose a 10x12 Davis Wall tent made in Colorado. I highly recommend a wall tent as they are easy for one man to put up. Internal frame is the only way to go. There smallest stove will cook you out.
    You can't beat a nice wall tent for comfort especially if the weather is bad. We use a 10X12 (or two end to end) for a cook tent and a 12X14 for sleep tents. Both with a Cylinder Wood stove.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1076.jpg  
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bigmoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im with bigmoose. Its hard to beat a good canvas tent. I have a 10x12 montana canvis wedge tent. Its an A frame and real easy to set up and brake down and the design sheds snow and rain very well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am in the same situation, I have looked at the alaknak and bighorn also, I guess it would all depend on your budget. My father in law has a 14x16 wall tent with a 14x16 fly on the front of it which is very nice when the weather gets nasty, but is to much for me to set up by myself. Considering the price, I will probably buy the 12x12 alaknak or bighorn they are about a thousand dollars cheaper and more in my budget.
    Shoot STR8

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RUTTIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for all info fellas. At this point I'm still undecided. Wish we had a Cabelas close so I could go look at the tents. I'm just tired of coming out of the back country every 5 days or so and sleeping in my truck. Does anybody know if the International Sportsmans show up in Denver next week will be showing any wall tents?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used a canvas wall tent for years. Bought it from Denver Tent Co. which isn't too far from you. I bought it over 30 years ago with a wood burner. 12 x 16 which works well for 3 guys if the weather turns bad. I use a pickup camper when it's just me but when the snow hits in late season you can't beat a canvas tent and wood to heat with. They are still in business and have a show room. Another hunter told me years ago if I was serious about hunting elk to save my money and get one. He was right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NE69 View Post
    I have used a canvas wall tent for years. Bought it from Denver Tent Co. which isn't too far from you. I bought it over 30 years ago with a wood burner. 12 x 16 which works well for 3 guys if the weather turns bad. I use a pickup camper when it's just me but when the snow hits in late season you can't beat a canvas tent and wood to heat with. They are still in business and have a show room. Another hunter told me years ago if I was serious about hunting elk to save my money and get one. He was right.
    Looks like I may have to stop by the show room next weekend. Thanks for the info.