Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Rangefinder

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts

New Rangefinder

I'm in the market for a new rangefinder. I hunt with bow, muzzy, and rifle. I am NOT a long range shooter/ hunter however. I've owned for several years a Leica LRF 800. This was a solid rangefinder with great optics and was basically flawless. The only reason I recently sold it was I wanted a one handed model. The LRF required using two hands which wasn't always real convenient. I'm considering going right back to the Leica and purchasing the CRF 1000-R. It's about $600, which isn't a real problem I just want to make sure there isn't something else I should be looking at. The other two I've somewhat considered is the Leupold 1000i and the Vortex Ranger 1000. I've searched old posts on this forum and other forums and keep seeing the same pattern. There are lots of guy's happy with there Leupold or Vortex but for every 6 or 8 guy's that are happy with their purchase there's one or two that are not. I have yet to see a negative post on the Leica which leads me to believe I should just get another one. Guess I'm just looking for other opinions to help me decide for sure.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have the crf 1600 and really like it a lot. It is very compact, great optics, very reliable and repeatable readings, etc. Leica is a trusted brand with top quality optics. I think you know which one to buy by reading your above post.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I have had a Leica CRF 1200 for 4 or 5 years now and I wouldnt trade it for anything! I tried a Leupold and ended up returning it and getting the Leica. I think the Leupold was a 700 yard with TBR. It was very complicated to use and only reliable to 300 yards or less. The Leica will hit every time at 1000 yards and I got it to read at 1321 yards once! I dont shoot real far either but there is not much thats more frustrating then trying to range an animal and having the range finder not read. It is nice having the longer range for things like planning a stalk to range the animal and points on your route to have an idea how far away you are.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 6 Posts
    I just got the Vortex Ranger 1000. I'm going out this Sat shooting and I will report back.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 4 Posts
    Let us know what you think. I've got the Leupold 1000 with TBR and it isn't bad, but there are times when for whatever reason it wont range an animal and sometimes the distance is as close as 50 or 60 yds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I'm in the market for a new rangefinder. I hunt with bow, muzzy, and rifle. I am NOT a long range shooter/ hunter however. I've owned for several years a Leica LRF 800. This was a solid rangefinder with great optics and was basically flawless. The only reason I recently sold it was I wanted a one handed model. The LRF required using two hands which wasn't always real convenient. I'm considering going right back to the Leica and purchasing the CRF 1000-R. It's about $600, which isn't a real problem I just want to make sure there isn't something else I should be looking at. The other two I've somewhat considered is the Leupold 1000i and the Vortex Ranger 1000. I've searched old posts on this forum and other forums and keep seeing the same pattern. There are lots of guy's happy with there Leupold or Vortex but for every 6 or 8 guy's that are happy with their purchase there's one or two that are not. I have yet to see a negative post on the Leica which leads me to believe I should just get another one. Guess I'm just looking for other opinions to help me decide for sure.
    Hi Country, where'd you see that Leica for $600.00??

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 46 Times in 6 Posts
    Leupold has gone so far down hill I can't believe it! They now outsource their glass to china in everything except. Their rifle scopes. I have now chose to switch to Vortex. The Vortex glass is the same as the Germen high end glass at the cost most of us can afford. I now have the Razor HD spotting scope, Vipor HD binos and a Vipor HS-T rifle scope and I'm very happy with them.

The Ranger range finder is very compact, very clear and has many options but still basic enough for me to figure it out.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    Hi Country, where'd you see that Leica for $600.00??
    If you google Leica CRF 1000-R you will find almost everyone's price is $599. I did see cameraland has demo units for $529 and saw another camera company (Focus Camera?) advertising it for $479. If I go with the Leica, finding it for the best price will be my next task!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CoHiCntry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Leupold has gone so far down hill I can't believe it! They now outsource their glass to china in everything except. Their rifle scopes. I have now chose to switch to Vortex. The Vortex glass is the same as the Germen high end glass at the cost most of us can afford. I now have the Razor HD spotting scope, Vipor HD binos and a Vipor HS-T rifle scope and I'm very happy with them.

The Ranger range finder is very compact, very clear and has many options but still basic enough for me to figure it out.
    I thought all of their gold ring line was all US made or used to be anyways. Has that changed now? I have had good luck with their VXII scopes but all mine are older but I been thinking about getting a new VXII with LRD.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    I'm considering going right back to the Leica and purchasing the CRF 1000-R. It's about $600, which isn't a real problem I just want to make sure there isn't something else I should be looking at.
    Rest assured, there's nothing else you should be looking at other than the 1600.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13