Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 270 or 243

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GOSHENGRUNTER View Post
    Thanks everyone for their help. I don't see many people mentioning the 270...any reason why in particular? Keep in mind most of my rifle hunting has been done in KY where 200 yards is the max- that said im very confident behind a bolt gun.

I have a 30-30 and know I don't NEED another gun but I cant let an excuse to buy a new rifle go to waste!!!

***If I was going on up to a .270 I'd just go ahead and buy a 30-06 because for all around game on the American continent, except for possibly the big bears, it's the perfect one with lots of bullet weights available depending on the animal you're hunting. That's why I have it as my username and I have three real good ones in my safes.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 21 Times in 1 Post
    I see and hear questions like this fairly often... 243 vs. 270

Whatever happened to the 6.5? In my opinion, it's better than both.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elkoholic307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Antelope aren't tough. Any of these calibers will work well out to MPBR.

If going past there, I would go with a 6.5 or 7 of just about any flavor for the better BCs.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    I see and hear questions like this fairly often... 243 vs. 270

Whatever happened to the 6.5? In my opinion, it's better than both.
    I'll second that opinion Elkoholic, a 6.5 and there are lots of good ones.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I like the 7mm-08. Have used it on Wt's for about 6 years, antelope year before last. Low recoil, flat shooting with good bullets.
    I think it is under- rated. Often thought of as a round for kids or women because of low recoil.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    Any legal caliber with a good bullet will kill them as long as you hit them in a good spot. IMO the caliber and gun you choose is more of a personal choice then anything.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 7 Posts
    Im not at all familiar with 6.5's. Ill have to do some research. Will the 6.5's suffice for mulies as well? Im pretty familiar with the 7-08's ans know they can do the job but i wasn't sure on the flatness of the bullet

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by GOSHENGRUNTER View Post
    Im not at all familiar with 6.5's. Ill have to do some research. Will the 6.5's suffice for mulies as well? Im pretty familiar with the 7-08's ans know they can do the job but i wasn't sure on the flatness of the bullet
    While I don't own one, or have any field experience with the 6.5's, I do hunt with friends that do and they love them. I studied the ballistics on Hornady's and others websites and reloading blogs and found that beyond 300 yds. the 6.5 Creedmoor retains more velocity and energy than any comparable short action cartridges. The .308 and 7mm/08 are the ones the Creedmoor outperforms.
    And does it with less recoil than either. Ammo is harder to find if you don't reload I suppose, I do so that's not a factor for me.
    I plan to buy a rifle in 6.5 as soon as I find a smoking deal on one, or if one goes on sale. Ike & Guy Eastman both shoot 6.5's.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shoot a DPMS in .260 Rem (6.5) and love it, so I purchased one for my wife, a Remington Model 7 (youth/womens model 700 basically) and I really like that gun too. Both are very accurate and have good long range capabilities. Low recoil, and plenty of knockdown for a deer or antelope. She has killed two deer so far with hers and I've killed numerous coyotes with mine. I reload and haven't had any problems getting supplies for it. I do believe the Creedmoor is a little better for long range than the 260 rem. but I have had 0 complaints. The .260 rem is a .308 sized down or a .243 sized up. Here is this years buck that fell to her 260.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC030056.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	7590

12. The Following User Says Thank You to wapiti66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 8 Times in 1 Post
    I'd lean toward the 270 since you mentioned muleys and whitetail also. I have used both the 243 and 270 with good results on many animals. The heavier bullet the 270 will push at the same speed penetrates much better on tough angles on large bodied deer. I use the 140gr accubond and have taken muleys at hard quartering angles, plus my best elk with them. I really like the 243 and shoot it a bunch, especially for coyotes and on antlerless deer hunts. I am not worried about the buck of a lifetime giving me a hard quartering shot there, I wait for perfect broadside shots and it works great. I use 100gr Sierra Gamekings, but have some 90gr accubonds I'd like to try.

The 6.5 is great, my 264 win mag is my favorite rifle. The 270 is much lighter so it goes to the steep country, the 264 gets used for all my plains hunting. It or any of the 6.5's are plenty for muleys.

If you shoot factory ammo throughout the shortage 270 win was the only thing available every time I checked around home. That's also a pretty good reason to own one.