Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 270 or 243

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

270 or 243

Buying a new rifle for an antelope hunt but my also use it for Mulies and whitetail.

Whats everyones opinion? 243, 270 or other?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Both good calibers. Im kinda partial to the 270 Winchester and it is what I shoot most of the time but if I was buying a new gun I would get a 270WSM. What do you have now? You dont need a new gun for antelope. I killed an antelope last year with a lever action 30-30 Winchester model 1894 made in 1896 with 1 shot!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Both you mention are good. Here are some more to consider.

6mm Remington
    257 Roberts
    25-06
    7mm-08
    280 Remington
    NRA Life Member
    RMEF
    Montana Wild Sheep Foundation
    Boone & Crockett Club
    Montana Bow Hunters Association

"One loves to possess arms though they hope never to."
    Thomas Jefferson

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Checkout the Guns, Muzzleloaders, Ammo threads. There are lots of opinions and recommendations there.

Myself...25-06 is my caliber of choice for all deer and below sized animals.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Checkout the Guns, Muzzleloaders, Ammo threads. There are lots of opinions and recommendations there.

Myself...25-06 is my caliber of choice for all deer and below sized animals.

***25-06 is a very underrated cartridge and I'll put my heavy barrel Ruger M77 up against any of the others for up through deer sized game just like you mentioned. It's a necked down 30-06 in case the OP isn't real familiar with it. I reload 117 grain Hornady BTSPs and they buck the wind out in Wyoming better than the .243, which I also use mostly for antelope on down through varmints with 100 grain Hornady BTSPs. The thing I like about the 25-06 is that it has plenty of poop way out there, but the recoil is such that I could shoot it all day off the bench. For bigger game than deer I move up to several 30-06s I have and all three of them are fed 150 grain Hornady BTSPs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My wife has killed mule deer, whitetail, and pronghorn with her .243. You have to be confident in what you shoot. I've been using a 7mm-08 the last few years and really like it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    ***25-06 is a very underrated cartridge and I'll put my heavy barrel Ruger M77 up against any of the others for up through deer sized game just like you mentioned. It's a necked down 30-06 in case the OP isn't real familiar with it. I reload 117 grain Hornady BTSPs and they buck the wind out in Wyoming better than the .243, which I also use mostly for antelope on down through varmints with 100 grain Hornady BTSPs. The thing I like about the 25-06 is that it has plenty of poop way out there, but the recoil is such that I could shoot it all day off the bench. For bigger game than deer I move up to several 30-06s I have and all three of them are fed 150 grain Hornady BTSPs.
    I have been shooting a 25-06 since the early 60's before it was a factory cartridge, called a .25 Neider then. Bought a new Ruger M77 in 25-06 in 1976 and have been shooting it since then. Like you, I really like the 117 BTs, but I shoot Sierra bullets. I have shot over 50 deer and probably that many antelope. Also use it on wild hogs too. Hard to beat it.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    About anything will work, I've used a number of different rifles and calibers. What really matters is the guy behind the rifle.

Pm sent to the OP

9. The Following User Says Thank You to canvsbk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks everyone for their help. I don't see many people mentioning the 270...any reason why in particular? Keep in mind most of my rifle hunting has been done in KY where 200 yards is the max- that said im very confident behind a bolt gun.

I have a 30-30 and know I don't NEED another gun but I cant let an excuse to buy a new rifle go to waste!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I personally shoot a 243 for antelope and whitetails. I've found an 80 gr TTSX load in front of Ramshot Hunter that shoots about 3415 fps. I've yet to catch a bullet from about a dozen animals I've taken with this combination over the last 3 years out to roughly 275 yards. Very reliable and I have 100% confidence in this load.

I also have a 7mm-08 and would look at it as my secondary rifle for your use.
    Last edited by graybird; 01-13-2014 at 11:47 AM.
    Vegetarian = old Indian word for Bad hunter