Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 270 or 243

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    Guess Im gonna have to like the new guy from Canada since he likes the 270 Winchester! lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 1 Post
    If you MUST pick ONE caliber to use for BOTH deer and antelope and those are your ONLY 2 choices then I would say go for the 270. However, as others have pointed out, if you are more flexible with your choices then I would agree with the 25-06 as a better option for both deer and antelope. My personal preference is to use a more optimal caliber for each, in which case I use a 243 for antelope, a 7mm mag for deer, and a 338 mag for elk.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Guess Im gonna have to like the new guy from Canada since he likes the 270 Winchester! lol
    My first big game rifle was a Savage 110 in 30-06, my little brother sold it while I was away overseas(we've had many discussions about that, even though it was 25 years ago forgiveness comes hard), my Tikka 270 was a present from my last employer when I quit, and my last new rifle I purchased was a 25-06rem. I guess I'm just partial to the 30-06 family, I'm thinking I would really like a 338-06 if I'm ever drawn for bison or grizzly. Whatever the OP picks whether it be a 243 or a 270, it's not really about the caliber it's more about shooting it well under all sorts of conditions and various (sometimes awkward) positions.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 23 Times in 10 Posts
    I find it very interesting that the 30-06 that was developed 108 years ago (actually 111 years ago when it started out as the 30-03) is still the caliber that every caliber developed since is compared to. With all the new technology in the last 100+ years we really havent come very far. Realistically if no other calibers had ever been made after the 30-06 there would be just as many dead animals today as there are with all the ones that have come out since then.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Win - Win. I own both and love both. I will say that the 270 provides more peace of mind if I'm taking a rare 300-400 yard shot.
    My biggest fear in life, is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    My Tikka t3 featherlite in 270 win is my main hunting rifle, whitetail, mule deer, elk, and black bear. It's accurate, not terrible recoil and inexpensive to shoot. I would think the 270win is a more versatile caliber than the 243.
    Joseph,

Getting ready to pick one of them up. Any issues with the trigger?

Read both good and some bad on the trigger.

Also, did you out a limbsaver recoil pad on it or staying with factory?

Thanks,

GR6

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    .270 hands down. I've personally taken everything from prairie dogs to bull elk with that caliber and it has worked flawlessly. Now that said, if you're interested in something other than one of those two, I would get a .30 cal of some sort. You can't go wrong with a good .30-06. As for myself, I am going to try a .300 WSM this fall.
    Managing Editor
    Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostrider6 View Post
    Joseph,

Read both good and some bad on the trigger.

Also, did you out a limbsaver recoil pad on it or staying with factory?

Thanks,

GR6
    The trigger on my T3 .270 is awesome. The gun is very accurate, and isn't too terrible to shoot, despite the light weight. I'll probably never buy another rifle. Unless I decide I need a GA Precision of course.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    [QUOTE=Ghostrider6;74367]Joseph,

I've had no issues with the Tikka at all. I've had it for 8 years now and it's been on quite a few mountains. I've never heard of any trigger issues with the Tikka T3, I left mine just the way it came out of the box. No creep at all that I can tell and very crisp. I left the gun totally the way it was, I don't find the recoil bad at all. I'll often put 20 rounds through it at the range and don't even notice. It is after all 'only' a 270. For a scope it came with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3x9 and it does the trick nicely so I haven't felt the need to upgrade that either. If you do buy one I don't think you'll be disappointed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info. Looking forward to picking it up this month. Going to put a Vortex scope on mine. We have been testing them and they are very good optics.