Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 20 Times in 9 Posts

Idaho frank church wilderness

I'm about ready to book a hunt with an outfitter in the frank church wilderness hunt, it would be a rifle hunt during the rut sept 23-29. Does anyone know how the elk herd is doing because of the wolve situation. Do I need to reconsider different place. The outfitter went 100% on mule deer and 75% on elk this last year. Any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated. With spending 5900 I want to get as much info abou the hunt as possible. Thanks guys

The mountains of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 19 Times in 1 Post
    Who/s the outfitter? I spent 4 years guiding in the Frank... I left for a reason. . feel free to PM if you would rather.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Wolves have hit frank church area pretty hard form what I hear and elk have been affected more then the deer. I havent actually hunted it myself so I cant say first hand how bad it is but its not what it once was. I have also herd elk in wolf areas are pretty quiet in the rut and sometimes they will move away from calls because they are worried it will attract wolves. Still it sounds like the outfitter is having pretty good success rates. Frank church is awesome country and Im sure it would be a good time even if you didnt fill your tag!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I won't be going till 2015 so two years down the road are the elk numbers going to be even worse no one knows. That's the thing about if u want a spot u have to book two years in advance. That's why they call it hunting there's no garentee.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No advice, just have fun. Frank Church Wilderness is BADASS.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    The outfitters have the advantage of tracking the animals through the summer months. The area is so big, I think a guy on his own could spend a week or more and a ton of foot miles just to find some animals.

The pilot we used last year said it is tough to hunt elk in sept because the weather hasn't pushed them out of the high country at all. If you are paying an outfitter a lot of money, it is likely because he has a substantial scouting staff to support him. It sounds like the guy you are talking to understands what it takes to make it happen for his customers.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Retterath,
    I'm booked up with an outfitter for this fall (surprise Christmas gift from the wife - how sweet is that...) in Area 28. Looking at your dates I assume your looking at Area 27? I've done quite a bit of research and generally hear the Area 27 has been hit harder than 28... although I lack actually putting boots on the ground yet so can't write with first hand knowledge. Hunt dates for Area 28 are later than 27 - so you'd lose the prime rut dates. Also, most of the guides in the area you need to book up Dec the year before or perhaps as late as Jan. As many have non-refundable deposits I'd wait until later to book in your hunt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    outfitter is the only way to go in that country. will be a hunt of a lifetime for you. most beautifull crazy country you will ever see. lots of wolves but the wolves are being kept in check. those outffiters in that coutry are good ole boys from what ive heard.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks guys great info, i hear the country is awesome and a hunt to remember.