Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Work2hunt View Post
    UH,

Financially, to apply for bonus point it appears there is a $10 application fee, a $10 bonus point fee, and then the hunting license $65 every other year if worked how UH pointed out. Is that correct?
    I have never bought a bonus point, however I think it is only one $10 fee and you buy a point if you will not be able to hunt that year but you don't want to fall behind with the points, so instead of applying for the hunt you just buy the point.
    All Work And No Play Is No Good At All

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Basically, it costs $10 to either buy a point or apply. If you buy a point it is $10. If you apply it is $10 and don't get drawn, you will get a point.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Best I can figure you pay for a $65 hunting license and a $10 app fee and if you dont draw you get a point at no additional charge. The UT web site seems to get more confusing the more I look at it....
    I agree!!! That's why I figured I'd post here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Basically, it costs $10 to either buy a point or apply. If you buy a point it is $10. If you apply it is $10 and don't get drawn, you will get a point.
    That's exactly how it works.

Also Utah has true preference points for general deer. That means whoever has the most points will get the tag over someone with lower points.

All other hunts are a bonus point hybrid system. 50% go to the people with the most points (basically like a true preference point) and the other half goes into a random draw. It is random but if you have more points your chances are greater but only slightly. If it's your first year you get one random number assigned and if it's your fifth year you get five random numbers but only the lowest is kept. Permits for that species are then drawn starting with the lowest random number until all of the permits are gone.

Not trying to call you out UH (you know more about hunting and drawing permits than I ever will) but specie is a term for coin money.
    Species is correct whether it is singular or plural. Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabama View Post

Not trying to call you out UH (you know more about hunting and drawing permits than I ever will) but specie is a term for coin money.
    Species is correct whether it is singular or plural. Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.
    Huh…learn something new every day. My dad always said he didn't trust an engineer that could spell. I'm sure he would have been proud!

Sew that must meen that mooses, deers, elks, antelopes, and sheeps are all species two. I am hopeing to stock sum ov thems this fall.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 01-19-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    Huh…learn something new every day. My dad always said he didn't trust an engineer that could spell. I'm sure he would have been proud!

Sew that must meen that mooses, deers, elks, antelopes, and sheeps are all species two. I am hopeing to stock sum ov thems this fall.
    HAHA....I knew you could take some good natured ribbing. But seriously since I taught you something now you have to teach me something....maybe how to draw a bighorn sheep tag in the lower 48!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    But seriously since I taught you something now you have to teach me something....maybe how to draw a bighorn sheep tag in the lower 48!
    Drawing a sheep tag is easy, all you need is lots and lots of points or lots and lots and lots of luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Musket Man View Post
    Drawing a sheep tag is easy, all you need is lots and lots of points or lots and lots and lots of luck
    You must be an optimist MM! So if I draw I'll buy a lotto ticket the next week and keep the streak going!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Work2hunt, If you are starting from ground zero, I'd highly advise you to invest your money elsewhere before Utah. It was once a good state for nonresidents, but since SFW began converting all the nonresident tags to auction 10 years ago, things have changed considerably, and will only get worse. Do the math, and you will see due to diminishing number of nonresident tags, the odds have gone Powerball. If you are already investing funds in AZ, NM, CO, WY, NV, MT, NH, ME, and are just looking for a snowball's chance in hell supplement, consider investing in UT points. Otherwise send your money to any of the above. I have 18 deer points and after I burn them, I'll dump all my other species and get out of the scam capital of the USA game. It's simple math. Check it out before investing.
    Last edited by Zim; 01-20-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    You must be an optimist MM! So if I draw I'll buy a lotto ticket the next week and keep the streak going!
    Someone has to draw and it might be you if you enter!! lol I only apply for trophy species in my home state and 1 other that doesnt cost me alot more to add them to my deer/elk/antelope app. Other wise Im not sure its worth it if you dont already have 10+ points. I might put in a couple places sometime that are a strait random draw like WY mountain goats but generally I try to invest my money on hunts I have a chance at drawing.