Thanks

A MUST Read - The Perfect Bullet

I cannot even begin to tell you how much this post has helped me. I have been searching this for months on end. I found this on another forum and almost joined just to say thank you :-) this has literally wrapped up months of searching for myself. Hope this helps you as much as it helped me.

Enjoy:

"Welcome to the search for the Holy Grail - the ultimate long range bullet which has a high BC, very forgiving tolerance with seating depth and has great terminal performance at lower velocities. *This bullet doesn't exist - at least not right now. *So LR hunters are faced with a trade off. *Bergers tend to have high BC's with great terminal hperformance. *However, the terminal performance is not always consistent and they can be finicky when reloading. *Nosler Partitions and the Barnes TSX (and TTSX) have great consistency in terminal performance, but their BC's leave something to be desired. *And not all rifles like the all copper Barnes bullets.

On one hand, great terminal performance is meaningless if you miss the target. *On the other hand, it can be disaster if your bullet hits the target, but then fails to perform. *The Nosler Accubond seems to be a good compromise of both terminal performance and BC. *The jury is still out on the LR Accubond. *Berger hunting VLD's are highly favored, but sometimes fail to open up - even at higher velocities. *Pick the best premium bullet that shoots/groups well in your rifle and learn to live with the trade-offs that come with it.

Thanks
    Wait.. What? The perfect bullet doesn't exist? I guess I'll just have to continue to shoot for the lungs with a bullet that groups out of my gun.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Lol... ok maybe it was just the perfect post for myself. Sometimes I just need to hear it even though I'm aware of it.

Thanks
    I had some performance issues with the ab lr. 150 grain out of 270 wsm. Mv at 2800. They flew fairly well and shot some tight groups. Actually some real tight groups. About 3/8" 5 shot group at a 100. The problem was when I shot it in to a matrix box. At 100 yards the bullet lost almost 2/3 its weight. At 55 grains I decided this wasn't the bullet for me.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    My Barnes X TTS .308 bullets retain nearly all their weight and shoot nice little groups with either of my 30.06's. Never used Bergers, Have used Nosler accubonds and while they shoot OK, like you said Grantbvfd...they tend to come apart when bone is encountered. Something like the Ballistic tips they're based on, but not quite as explosive.

Thanks
    I figured that out. The regular accubonds are a better hunting bullet imo. I now use the 130 grain ttsx and love the bullet. A bull and muley were taken with it this year and I have no complaints.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Never had a issue with the VLD/AMAX not opening up at close range, the prob is they open up and she'd weight too fast at high velocity and don't allow much penetration. A bullet not opening up is never a problem if it's put in the right location, one that does to quick and causes a shallow crater can be a huge problem.

ABs are my go to though. They're perfect for my needs & that's all that matters to me.