Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Backcountry Colorado Rifle Otc

I am in the beginning stages of planning a hunt in colorado for 2014. I have a few areas of interest located but am curious as to what altitude the majority of elk can be found during the first OTC season. I have hunted with a colorado outfitter before so am familiar with elk hunting in general. I am also curious of what weather to expect in the backcountry at given altitude. Is lightweight backpack hunting three miles in feasible for two people? Not looking for areas or honey holes just general information as I already have areas in mind? What tents and bags are recommended on a average budget? Thanks for replies in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Anythings feasible... what you have to be prepared for is cold temps and possibly snow. Not exactly prime backpacking conditions! You can count on below freezing temps most nights and mornings. The higher you go the worse it will be. That might get real old after just a couple day's, let alone for a week or so. It's definitely doable, just be prepared for the conditions. You might look at drawing a muzzleloader tag if you want to backpack in. It's a good month before the first OTC rifle season so the temps are much more pleasant.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If by the first OTC season you are referring to the 2nd combined season you can count on it being fairly cold. By the end of October the mountains have usually seen a good snow storm or two already. It may melt off quickly but it can be cold.I would plan on a winter bag and dress in layers. You can see very low temps at night and sometimes high 50's during the day. That time of year is sporadic for weather but you have to be prepared for cold weather.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the replies. We have decided on unit 74. Now just need to select a specific area within the unit to focus. In anticipation of a cold snap we have a ultralight tent with a wood stove.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk